Radar on Seafarer

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just purchased a Garmin 18HD radar for my 228 and have a couple of questions.

Has anyone mounted on an aft leaning radar mount without interference with their VHF antenna, lights, etc? The radar just arrived today and I haven't had a chance to "dry fit" it yet. I'd prefer not to relocate anything on the top if possible.

I was thinking of a 6" mount with 4 degree angle to give the beam a little more height to clear the bow.

Anyone with thoughts or opinions?

ReelCozzi

Reaction score
I mounted a HD18 on my 228 on the forward lip of the hardtop using a 4" aft leaning mount w/a homemade 4 degree wedge made of startboard for the rear set of bolts. I used the Garmin antenna mounting hardware to mount the weather and GPS mushrooms on the underside of the hardtop which worked fine and were below the path of the radar beam. No interference from either the anchor light or VHF antenna.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Question, what do you mean by clearing the bow? If memory serves me well this morning, I recall the aperature is 24 deg, 12 deg down and 12 deg up off the horizontal plane, in all diections.

And does your model Grady have the flat hardtop, or hump in it?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I realize now that the radar beam will be far ahead of the bow of the boat. I was concerned that the railing on the pulpit may come into play if the unit is mounted too low but that's no longer a concern.

However, I still have a GPS antenna that's in the plane of the radome and would like to raise the radar rather than raise the antenna.

I'm currently thinking of using a radar mount with an aft lean mounted to the lower overhang of my hardtop. There is a hump in the top above the electronics box (which is where my antennas & lights are located). I think a 6" mount may raise the radome enough but may have to go with a taller model.

I have the radar on hand now and will go to the boat this weekend. A little hands-on will go a long way.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My GPS is short mounted on I think a 2 or 3" lift and radar is flush mounted and no issues so far. Rule of thumb is VHF's should be min, 3' from any other type antennae.

Board Quota reached for posting pic, so here is a link on same subject on THT where I posted some pics: http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... ation.html

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finished with the radar install. Went with a Sea Scan 6" aft-leaning mount with built-in 4 degree tilt. Very pleased with the end result. Now for the fun part - learning to interpret the returns.

Here's a couple of pictures.

photo.jpg

strikezone.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Keith,,,,,long time no talk. Got that radar figured out yet?

Hope to get to go out with you this spring,,,,, be down for boat show the end of Jan. if you can get away.