Radar Question

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
I would like to install Radar on my boat this year. I don't need anything fancy just something simple to get me through Maurice river the Cove here in the Delaware bay, NJ. I also want to pass by Buoys during dark hours and fog without running them over.

I don't go off shore nor do I travel through any other water ways. I have a Garmin GPS so I don't need that either. Something with a B&W screen will do fine too.

Maybe I should just set up a cookie crumb trail with my GPS and save myself the money? I am not sure which would be more reliable?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance,
Rod

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Furuno 1623 and I am very happy with it. I mounted it on a short radar post and it works like a charm. Has 16 mile range. Rarely do I go beyond 3. The nice thing about the Furuno is the sweep rpm increases as the you lower the range so it updates faster. This was a key point for me as I use it for bouy hunting and collision avoidance. It is very reasonably priced and installation is not bad at all.

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245
5.7 VP DP

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd go with the Radar, I know on Delaware Bay there is a bit of traffic and fog at times, so having a radar is awesome. I have a Furuno unit and it works great, I use it a bit offshore for finding tracking lobster bouys as I drift at night....don't want to get hung up on one of them, and it work's great. I also run offshore in the dark a bit and it gives me the confidence to find bouys inshore that are not lit, and to avoid lobster bouys offshore. I can't run a boat without radar anymore unless the weather is 100% perfect, plus it can be used to find schools of fish and birds which is a nice touch. As mentioned above, there are some great Furuno units on ebay for reasonable prices.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Radar isn't cheap, even the cheap ones.

Need space for another screen, and whatever you have on the forward part of your hardtop (search light?) may require you to add a costly stand to raise the radome to see over it.

Otherwise easy install for competent DIYer, no special tools or calibrations required. If you mount the screen to the underside of the hardtop, even easier install.

scottg

Reaction score
The main reason to have radar is for collision avoidance in reduced visability. The 'cookie crumbs' on the GPS will not help you avoid a collision.

I have a Furuno 1715 on a 209 Escape. IMHO, that radar is perfect for a small boat.

gerrys

Reaction score
I'd recommend the smaller Furunos. Cookie crumbs will help you around the anchored bouys but don't do much in avoiding other obstructions.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Furuno 1623. Thats what I would get thats what i was gonna get but i got the Garmin bundle deal instead. 95% of the commercial boats out there have furunos on them because they are the best.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am a big believer in radar and have one on my current and previous boat. If you ever get caught in fog, dark, rain, scatter storms, etc. you will be d*mn glad to have it.

Many boaters fail to realize a radar is very useful in clear, sunny wx as well. If adjusted correctly and set at a 1-2 nm range, it will act as an early warning for traffic and buoys. I pick such targets up WELL before I can spot them visually.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Radar

Go with the Furuno 1715 or 1623, both great radars for a reasonable price. Once you have it you will wonder how you ever went without it. I can assure you, you won't ever regret it!! Go Furuno and you will not be dissapointed!!

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Well I've decided to go with the 1623 but as someone mentioned I have to raise the radar above my spot light. How do I do that? Is there something that Furuno makes for that kind of application?

catch22

Reaction score
Fishin' Rod said:
Well I've decided to go with the 1623 but as someone mentioned I have to raise the radar above my spot light. How do I do that? Is there something that Furuno makes for that kind of application?

There's a few brands of radar mounts out there. Here's one example;
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/SEAVIEW-PMF ... -10u-7.htm

Put one of these "Pro Mounts" on a friends 228 last year. It also has the light option.
Seafarer_3-17-08_001.jpg

If you do a search, you should be able to find something less expensive.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Fishin' Rod said:

There's a few brands of radar mounts out there. Here's one example;
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/SEAVIEW-PMF ... -10u-7.htm

Put one of these "Pro Mounts" on a friends 228 last year. It also has the light option.
Seafarer_3-17-08_001.jpg

If you do a search, you should be able to find something less expensive.

Why so expensive? Now I want to rethink re-locating my spot light to the bow which would give me less glare.

catch22

Reaction score
Yes, they are expensive... I don't know why. They're powder coated aluminum.
I agree, if you can move your light to the bow, your better off. Like you said, you'll avoid the glare issue, (and it is definitely a problem).

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the help guys. I just ordered a Furuno 1623 for my boat. Now I just have to figure out how I want to mount it.

Thanks again,
Rod

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
I finally got to put my boat in the water saturday and everything went fine. Took her out again on sunday and when I went to turn my radar on it came on for a split second and shut right off. I had to call the installer later to find where the fuse is but I haven't been back on my boat to check it yet. Is there something else that I should be looking into also?