Radar use

fathergoose

Reaction score
I’ve read that you are supposed to use any aid to navigation that you have when ever you are running. That being said how many people out there use their radar all of the time

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I am not aware of any particular rule, but if underway with unlimited visibility, I do not see the need to keep your radar running. Many captains run their radar during high visibility conditions to relate what they see visually on the water to what they see on their screens as a "training" regimen.

Reactions: Zebulon

reelserious

Reaction score
I’ve read that you are supposed to use any aid to navigation that you have when ever you are running. That being said how many people out there use their radar all of the time

It is a Coast Guard reg. If you have radar it must be on at all times when the vessel is underway. Having said that, My radar is always on. When at drift offshore, I usually switch to stand-by.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never knew that rule, good to know. I do run mine often just to compare real life to what is on the screen.

reelserious

Reaction score
Never knew that rule, good to know. I do run mine often just to compare real life to what is on the screen.

Some additional food for thought for those who don't use their radar at all times........

One of the things that should be mentioned with using radar is that there is a heightened responsibility when radar is aboard.The skipper should be familiar with requirements to use the radar in a manner to avoid collisions, as required in Rules 6, 7, and 8 of the Coast Guard Navigation Rules.[4] One important statement in these rules is that if you have an operational radar aboard your vessel it must be on and monitored while you are under way. There are some situations where this rule can be suspended (such as if the power drain is not tolerable at the time) but the rules caution that such exceptions may or may not be accepted by a judge in a collision investigation. If a collision occurs and you have radar but it was not on you could be saddled with full liability for the collision regardless of visibility conditions or actions of the other vessel.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was not aware of the radar rule as well. I am grateful it was brought up.
Reading the rule, the statement "appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions" appears to indicate the requirement is condition dependent.

From Navrules FAQ:
11. Am I required to have Radar? Radar is not required on vessels under 1600 GT (33 CFR 164.35), however, Rule 7 states that proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational. In other words, whoever has one must use it. The Navigation Rules are not meant to discourage the use of any device, rather they expect prudent mariners to avail themselves of all available means appropriate...as to make full appraisal of the situation (Rule 5), e.g. the use of radar. At issue is whether the use of radar is appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and that is a determination made by the Master; and, ultimately decided by a trier of fact.

Should you be in a collision how would a judge/jury rule on your contention that the use of radar was impracticable (due to electrical drain, crew shortages, etc.)? Also, if a collision does occur, then there was obviously a risk of collision beforehand. Could the determination of that risk have been made sooner with the use of radar? It is difficult to answer such questions because the circumstances of each case are different.

More importantly, remember that Rule 7 specifies that assumptions shall not be made on the basis of scanty information, especially scanty radar information.

§ 83.07 (a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision exists. If there is any doubt such risk shall be deemed to exist. (b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational, including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of detected objects. (c) Assumptions shall not be made on the basis of scanty information, especially scanty radar information. (d) In determining if risk of collision exists the following considerations shall be among those taken into account: (i) Such risk shall be deemed to exist if the compass bearing of an approaching vessel does not appreciably change. (ii) Such risk may sometimes exist even when an appreciable bearing change is evident, particularly when approaching a very large vessel or a tow or when approaching a vessel at close range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legend

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Every comment above is excellent, and spot on.

Brian
Master, Oceans, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited
Commander, USN (Ret)

fathergoose

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone this is exactly the information that I was looking for.