Radar

Accuratepete

Reaction score
Ok I have a 282 2002 sailfish and it has this rediculouse radar mount on the front that is like 20". Off the top wNt to buy a normal mount anybody have radars that u mounted off the top due to rise on the top from life jacket storage. And where did u get it thanks in advance

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Most that I've seen without a mount are installed on the front edge of the hard top.
Maybe consider filling in the holes with 5200 and make sure the void is 100% filled and bottom. The coring is likely balsa in the hardtop, so you want to ensure water does not get in.
If you want to mount in the same location, maybe look either for a small mount or potentially a wedge that will give you the proper angle to pick up objects in front of you.
My 282 did not have a mount, it was mounted on the front edge of the hardtop with (4) bolts. My current boat has a small mount. I wanted a bit more height as well as a nice mount to get the GPS sensor out of the radar beam.
Prob best to see some other boats and determine the look and features you want and then search the net to see what mounts are offered.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It may be a little ugly but I suspect it works very well for longer distance. You could always have it shortened by a fabricator.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I installed this Seaview Radar Mount on my 258. You can order one that fits the make of radar you have. Mounted it on the hardtop front where it drops down in front of the radio box hump. Wire out the back through a waterproof fitting right into the radio box. DO NOT CUT THE EXTRA WIRE SHORT!!! Coil it around where you can, out of the way and wire tie it.

PMA-57-M1_and_LTB_Garmin_medium.jpg

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Took a few minutes to crop and re-size the pic.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,972

Accuratepete

Reaction score
journeyman said:
I installed this Seaview Radar Mount on my 258. You can order one that fits the make of radar you have. Mounted it on the hardtop front where it drops down in front of the radio box hump. Wire out the back through a waterproof fitting right into the radio box. DO NOT CUT THE EXTRA WIRE SHORT!!! Coil it around where you can, out of the way and wire tie it.

PMA-57-M1_and_LTB_Garmin_medium.jpg
I am likei g this mount now I hope it covers the holes from this home made stand I have now that is stupid looking.

Accuratepete

Reaction score
So what if I decide to mount rite to the top in front of hump with no stand will it work.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine is mounted directly to the front of the hardtop and works fine. Most of the Sailfishes are mounted this way in my area.

Accuratepete

Reaction score
I put the dome direct to roof to test today it does fine just skips directly behind me does not show anything I guess the beam hits the roof which really don't matter I don't need to see behind me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
As legend says, this is how mine was mounted on my previous boat - 282. As I recall it was an 18" Raydome. It was directly mounted to the front of the hard top before the hump. There was plenty of room underneath for the cable dressing and it was forward enough that it never presented a problem for headroom or sightlines. Good luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I remember, I posted pics of my old boat in the GALLERY.
Pick Sailfish and go to page 6. My boat is at the bottom - the two middle shots. In one you have a bow shot with 2 of my kids looking out the hatch. You get a good shot of the Raydome directly on the hardtop. The other middle is a picture abeam, you'll get another angle. There are others out there mounted the same way. So I think this not only is the way it usually done, but you save the cost of a mount.
Just get an extender for your GPS so you get it out of the beam angle.