Rainwater in Bilge?????

Gary Brown

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for accepting me into the Grady White Forum.

I had bought my first Grady White last fall and its a late model 216 Fisherman (2018)- fantastic boat! I absolutely love it. I keep it in my driveway on a trailer and never had issues with rain water accumulating in the aft bilge or even midships as Grady White had told me all the fittings even cup holders drain to the deck etc....self draining boat. I always check the bilge before and after I take a ride and was always dry aft, and sometimes I get a minor amount of water out the drain plug. I usually keep the trailer tilted slightly high in the tongue to keep the rainwater draining out the scuppers/garboard plug aft. However, I thought it best to level the boat out a bit since Hurricane Henri came by to pay a visit and didn't want the T-top to act as a sail. So after the storm, I raised the tongue on the trailer and there was a tremendous amount of freshwater coming out of the drain plug. When I say tremendous, I mean at least 10 gallons of water maybe more. The storm did dump 9.4 inches of rain us but still, I'm concerned as to how the water got into the bilge in the first place, when all water is supposed to drain to the deck and out the aft scuppers.

Should I be concerned? Curious to know how this could happen.

Respectfully,
Gary

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not sure about the concern, my boat sits in the water most of time, and the auto bilge should pump out. I did notice when trailered, with the hull slightly tilted, the float switch stuck and actually burned up 2 batteries, go figure. But, there is anchor locker, hatches, and other small places a driving rain can allow rain in, especially a tropical storm.

seasick

Reaction score
Some water is normal. With all that rain, I would expect more water like you found. Small amounts of water can enter through the anchor locker, deck plates, cup holders or any penetration. some boats, water can get in via the motor rigging assemblies If it rains hard enough, more water may get in the well and deck that the scuppers can drain out especially as the flappers get older and are stiff.
Generally I wouldn't worry, just keep checking.

Last edited:

Gary Brown

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
Thank you both for your responses. I will check the deck plates and ensure they are tight. Didnt even think of that to be honest. Appreciate the help here.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Your 216 is not the same boat as my 228, but I was told that the rear cup holders and the under gunnel rod holders on my boat drain to the bilge. I leave my plug out and my boat is stored on a slope so I have no idea how much water could come in, I wouldn't expect a lot but you had quite a dumping.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Could try getting some rubber gasket with adhesive for some of the hatches if they don’t already have it. I think the seavee hull has a low point up towards the bow in the bilge due to hull design. If it persists you may want to try to chase it down to prevent persistent mildew and whatnot

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Your 216 is not the same boat as my 228, but I was told that the rear cup holders and the under gunnel rod holders on my boat drain to the bilge. I leave my plug out and my boat is stored on a slope so I have no idea how much water could come in, I wouldn't expect a lot but you had quite a dumping.
Rear cup holders drain in the bilge but rod holders should drain in the cockpit and towards the scuppers .

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 232 lives on a trailer. I get a decent amount of water in the bilge when it rains - even get some accumulation from the night time dew over the course of a few weeks. Not a big deal at all. If anything, the fresh water rinses out some salt water that may be in there. I try to keep it tongue high on the trailer if I know we will get some good rain or during the winter when I won't use the boat for a while.

Phil Junior

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Gary
I have a 228 Seafarer that also holds rainwater and also keep the tongue high to allow drainage .
I found out that rain water was getting thru the cabin hatch / bow seat .The rain water would then find it's way to the hatch and drain thru the hull to the bilge Also if your fuel tank covers are not watertight that will allow rainwater to enter as well I took mine off cleaned them up and re caulked them .
Good luck. Phil

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
A marine surveyor told me that today most boats sink on their trailers. The water gets in somehow, the bilge pump runs when necessary, eventually the battery dies and you wind up with a boat full of water.

I own a self storage business with boat storage and have seen it first hand. Two different boat full to the top of the gunnels!

Water will get in somehow. The trick is not to accumulate it. Always remove the drain plug! Get the trailer nose up so the water drains.

Anchor locker, certain cup holders, deck plates to some extent are all likely places for water to get in. Check your scupper hoses by flushing them out to see if they are leaking. Check deck hatches too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hookup, I can see that for sure. The issue with mine was that the float activated, but because the hull was not level, as it would be in the water, it just ran and ran and did not pump out 100%, then burned up 2 batteries. Fortunately, thanks to Sam's, they replaced 2 AGM's under warranty.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm using the Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club. Great battery and great deal.