Raising outboard at the dock.

J-cubed

Reaction score
My boat stays in the water throughout the summer. I keep my outboard trimmed up out of the (fresh) water when I am not there. This leaves my trim rods extended. If I retract the rods and let the motor rest on the support arms, the tip of the lower unit is in the water. My question is which position is better? The rods retracted to prevent corrosion or the lower unit completely out of the water.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is anything mechanical actually in the water or just the skeg? On mine, if it's resting on the support, part of the skeg is in the water but I have bottom paint on that one section.

seasick

Reaction score
I really don't know which option is better other than my preference that the motor is out of the water. I have not used the tilt stop on my 2s 150 for as long as I can remember with no apparent issues BUT there can be concerns about the trim rods being exposed. That said, the tilt rod will be all exposed when the motor is up ( 3 piston tilt mechanism) Maybe for heavier motors it is better to use the stop. I look forward to others' comments

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The stop is only there for servicing the lower unit. Get some heavy schedule PVC and make your own sleeves just a bit longer so they rest on those if you want the motors out of the water. If you're at a dock with a lot of shore voltage it's probably not a bad idea. I had mine down in the Keys next to a boat yard and the zinc was destroyed after a short stay. I usually keep the motor in the water during vacations. Curious to see what others have done.