Raleigh Boat Show

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here are some observations from the Raleigh Boat Show this past weekend. I'll post some GW specific info later.

o The crowd was better then expected. After hearing from the NE US shows, I was surprised at the turnout. Since it was the first year in a wonderful new LARGE venue it was hard to compare to past years. It seemed to be getting pretty crowded by 3pm.

o There were way more boats then in previous years, likely due to the size of the showroom. The largest I saw was a 47' Sea Ray. Very nice cruising boat. It had the Zeus docking system installed.

o Albemarle was absent. There was discussion that the recent sale kept them from closing altogether. They have 23 employees including the receptionist. It is sad to see a legendary NC builder fall so far after aquisition by Brunswick.

o The Jupiter 29 was a fine looking CC. The fit and finish was top notch. Very nice looking boat.

o The Robalo 305 was also a nice boat. There was lots of wood in the cabin, a nice helm deck, and a really pretty hardtop with glossy underside and recessed LED lighting. I pointed some GW folks to it so they could see some of the nice touches. I would like to see the larger GWs adopt some of the features.

o The Everglades 320 is an amazing boat. Of course at 300K for a 32/11 outboard boat it SHOULD be. There was SS everywhere, tons of wood in the cabin, an enclosed bridge with 16K BTU a/c, power driven front windows, and get this, a touch screen to control all systems (pumps, lights, power, etc). There were some mechanical switches for key systems in case of failure. The boat has a single thru hull with a header to feed all seawater systems. Very cool. The bilge was lit and finished like a cabin. Think outboard Cabo. Amazing boat.

o The Scout 35 was very nice. Finish and features compare to Pursuit and GW although it doesn't seem as fishable (IMHO).

Some trends I noticed:

o despite the economy many models are adding wood, SS, amenities, and luxury items.

o helm deck a/c is becoming the norm on boats large enough for a genset (best believe I continued my campaign with GW for helm a/c on the 300)

o hardtops are going to finished undersides, recessed lighting including spreader lights, and some other feature. I continue to lobby GW for this direction. Some of the hardtops looked like small versions of a Pipewelders custom top for a tower. Very nice.

o more SS everywhere, drink holders, scupper drains, toe rails, etc

o heads are becoming more upscale with countertops, SS sinks, more padding, etc

o many boats have gone to the Beckson deck plates which screw out rather then pop out with a screwdriver.

o more clear separation of usage. The Carolina Classics and Regulators are geared for fishing and did not have most of these new frills. The family/dual purpose boats all had new features not seen in past years.

o Everyone is using top mounted riggers. Sorry, but they do not look right on a 25'+ cabin boat. My next boat WILL have side mounts even if they are done after market.

I post some GW info tomorrow.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hate to answer my own post but I promised some GW info from the show.

o Spent some good time with VP of Sales/Marketing Joey Weller and President Kris Carroll.

o The Marlin is still a good seller and is even with the 305 depending on the year. There are no plans to drop it (I threatened to buy a Pursuit if they do). :lol:

o The 290 was not designed to replace the 282 but rather address some customer requests (genset, more space between seats, etc). The boat looks very nice. The new electronics area is even larger then the 300 option and can hold two LARGE displays. The cabin has more wood and other updates beyond the 282. The hull is taller then the 282 from the centerline and hence deeper. Overall a great looking boat.

o GW is trying the pulpitless arrangement to see how customers feel. I personally like the lines of the pulpit but there are advantages of new design including docking, lower LOA = reduced berthage costs, etc.

o Most lighting is or will be LED.

o GW is looking into the hardtop direction of finished undersides and integrated lighting. Ditto for helm deck a/c. Make your desires known if these features are important to you.

o Times are tight for all builders (and everyone else for that matter) but GW is weathering the storm. They are reducing production rather then employees where possible. I heard of several nice things they are doing to look after the "GW family".

o Many dealers expect a Yamaha 4S in the 400-450 range but Yamaha is VERY secretive to the point not even sales reps know much.

o As suspected and often posted, GW DOES indeed CLOSELY monitor this board and some others such as THT. They prefer to not intervene or post so they can get the true thoughts of owners. This underscores what a valuable resource GG is to provide assistance to GW owners as well as feedback, both positive and negative, to GW.

o In closing, here is an other attaboy for Jeff and his work to provide this forum, and to GW for their never ending attention to their customers.

Bring on discussion!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MegaB - nice report.

And I would tend to think Grady would be better served with offering a "no power" option and "Lite" model versions aka Proline Lites, in this economy, to make sales. You can tell I'm not in marketing for a living.

Grady made the right move towards the high end, where demand remains in spite of the worst economy in how many decades ?

They will survive this one fine, thanks to target market strength, policy of engineered quality products and standing behind them, better than most.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I wish the support and help that we get from GW HQ was also true with their local dealers .... I have had and heard nothing but great things about Grady as a boat and a company ..... When I bought my Grady from a private seller last year, I was hopeing to use the dealer in Wildwood as my source for service/parts etc ..... well, I have Evinrude's ... not Yamaha's ... they didnt even want to know my name ..... I wont ever walk into that place again ...... But I'd by another Grady in a minute!!!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tommy,

Get that info back to GW. They take CS VERY, VERY seriously. That is NOT the boating experience they strive for.

BTW: Kris said if I came to Greenville they would build a Marlin anyway I wanted it, including finished hardtop and helm deck a/c. I think she was only 1/2 kidding. :lol:

I forget to ask if they have considered a refurbish program as some have suggested. It seems a good way to utilize the factory when production is down. I could see a program that books slots based on year to year production to maximize revenue and labor. In years like 2004 and 2005, there may be few slots. In todays market there would be more.

The question is: is there demand and would owners be willing to spend enough to make it profitable. It is certainly an interesting idea.

Thoughts?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NA2P said:
Well, Every time I call the factory, talk to someone in customer service or parts I get the exact info I need, no bullshit no nothing but what I need. I did not spend 32K on a repower for a POS with no one standing behind a 16 YO hull. I can never say enough about GW and the way they build or stand behind them. Sure , there are quite a few other boats I would own, but you just can't beat the GW "experiance".

Pete

I called them a few times and got the same treatment.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I hope to make it to the NE show this year, we'll see.

While I too like some of the options and new finish / trims that I see on some of the other boats, I still think the tried and true approach GW uses is the best for them and their customers. I've heard too many horror stories about the new fangled thing or the new (aka cheaper) process or materials having issues. It takes a few years to work the kinks out of any product that requires this much touch labor. If you're always radically changing, you are always chasing the issues in my opinion.

I also like the fact that the designs passes the test of time - not a lot of fad changes that come and go just solid year to year design and function improvements. A 15 year old looks very much like a newbe. There are a lot of ugly 15 year sleds out there...

Going into my 3rd season with my current GW and while there were a few fixes after I took delivery, my dealer worked with the factory and addressed them to my total satisfaction. My two GWs have been rock solid. I recall a pump recall, and the dealer called my cell and had someone enroute to my boat (about 30 minutes away) and swapped it out that day.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford another sometime in the future. Maybe that 33 WA will be in prodution by then.. :D

From the factory (been there twice) to my dealer, there are no short cuts, and they don't take the easy way out. The boats are built solid and they are stood behind - period. Hard to find that type of customer focus in any industry never mind this one.

When things get tough, firms must get even closer to their customers. There is a flight to quality factor too. People want to do business with a winner, a financially secure firm that produces quality products and that will be there when needed. Will this hurt in the short term - yes. Will GW be there standing when it turns? Absolutely.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good points Danny. In fact Kris told me that GW typically doesn't like to be the bleeding edge of new innovations; prefering to wait until they are proven. Case in point is the use of diesel gensets in an outboard boat. She wasn't sure if GW was the first to offer these but she was did say the FP had been in use in other boats and had a good reputation before GW offered them as an option.

I forgot to mention - GW is well aware of the criticism of finish in non-visible areas (they must read THT) :lol:
They didn't commit to a more finished bilge for example but did say they are definately looking into it. It really comes down to cost/benefit to the customer (my words).

gw204

Reaction score
megabytes said:
I forgot to mention - GW is well aware of the criticism of finish in non-visible areas (they must read THT) :lol:
They didn't commit to a more finished bilge for example but did say they are definately looking into it. It really comes down to cost/benefit to the customer (my words).

That's funny. There's no such thing as a "non-visible" area. If there were, how would people know what the finish is like there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the finish in places such as the forward and aft bilges is adequate. Rather than ensuring shiny gelcoat in those areas, I would have them put the extra effort into ensuring that not a single square mm of wood in the transom, stringers, bulkheads, etc has anything less than two layers of glass over it. No painting with poly resin. No coating with gelcoat. No covering with caulking. No cutting corners. A pretty bilge doesn't make a boat last and getting glass over everything would go a long way in making the GW reputation even better.

That being said, my Mako project will have a pretty bilge because it does look cool. :)

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Megabytes -Thanks for a great report.

I've had 2 GW's and now an Albermarle - the way GW treats their customers should be the benchmark for all businesses, not just this one.

I'll send them my deposit check the day I hear they want to make an inboard diesel or an IPS powered hull. I'll bet a few CABO owners would too.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Probably not going to happen. With the advent of large 4S engines (expect to see 400HP+ soon), builders such as GW, BW, Pursuit, Scout, etc. will go that route. There are plenty of inboard boats available for those buyers as well.

BTW: I assume you realize Albemarle was sold to a private buyer right before Brunswick was going to close it. The plant is down to 23 people. Sad to see a legendary builder so close to extinction. I hope Cabo doesn't suffer a similar fate. I have always thought they were beautful boats.

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
MB

Unfortunately I think you're right about GW staying with the big outboards.. but I can hope. I'm afraid the diesel inboards have spoiled me forever.
Those engines or an IPS in a Grady hull would be the ultimate boat for a lot of folks like me. Then throw in the Grady organization and nobody could touch them.

I knew about Albie being sold - my opinion is that any boat not being controlled by Brunswick has to be better than one that is. We'll see what the new owner can deliver; I wish him well in this economy -maybe he can even get a bailout!

I do love the CABO's but have heard some complaints that were unexpected in that class of boat. (enough said- don't intend to start a war here). I hope Brunswick doesn't cheapen that line next (be a shame to see quad Verados on a bracket bolted to a 40 footer).

I'm looking forward to the Boston show - want to climb all over that new 29 Chesapeake.

Best regards and thanks again for the report.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't see Grady going to inboards. If anything a 40 express with tripple 400's (or 450's). On the plus side, without inboard engines there will be a TON of space down below on a 40'er. For a fish/family style boat it would offer alot.

If I ever go to that size boat mine will have diesels.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Very good thread. As mentioned above, I agree with GW Customer Service. Frankly, it's THE reason why GW is so darn good. Their boats aren't funadamentally that much better than the rest, but you can count on them for spare parts and issues to be resolved during the boat's entire lifespan. This is not true with most of the other manufacturers. GW's been around for 50 years. That's a long time boys...

As to the desire for inboards and pods - yes, nice thought but you loose all that space and know that diesels are tough to meet today's emission requirements - especially here in California. Using clean burning, EPA certified, four strokes gives you fuel tanks (with added range), fish boxes and live wells not possible in any comparable inboard boat.

I love diesels but I love the giant fuel tank in my GW more.