ramarine/garmin

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
hello all, IM putting all new electronics on my Ilander can anybody give me some adyice on the ones to go with I will be mostly fishing the ocean from 20 fathom to 500 fathom I dont have a fat pocket book so all i need is somthing thats good enough to find sturucture water temp and home.thanks[/quote]

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Raymarine/Garmin

Not sure if you're looking for specific model numbers or what brand the readership prefers. If you're looking for brands, I'll go with Garmin everytime. I've had Garmins in two different airplanes that I fly, and I had one on an older boat that I owned. My brother has Garmin in his boat. I can say without a doubt, no Garmin product has ever let me down. I find them totally 100% reliable and well-made. And they do have a good customer service department.

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
thanks jake the boat has all garmin units on it some are a little outdated in my opinion. I had a 36 mile radar but some loser cut the cables and stoled the screen. garmin was my first choice I appreciate your advice.

catch22

Reaction score
I prefer Garmin as well.

If you have the room, here's a pretty good deal, ($2700) on a 4212, (12") bundle.
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+4212+Bundle.html

It includes a gsd22 sonar box, gdl xm weather receiver, (xm radio too) and gps antenna. You would need to purchase a transducer seperately, and radar.

GMR 18 HD radar, (36 mile) $1050.
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+GMR+18+HD.html

If you don't have the room for the 12' model, maybe the 10"would fit. Sorry, couldn't find a deal on a 10" bundle.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
While I too like Garmin GPS, the first thing you stated is fishing. I would seriously consider the Raymarine. Their DSM (digital Sounding Module) technology is awesome. Twin E120's would look pretty sweet!

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
thanks guys that garman 4212 is sweet.I'm sure ray marine is comperable to. The salt water fishing show is coming to the state fairgrounds the first week of january in baltimore County md. I'll see who will give me the best deal. that will determain which brand I go with.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
My father runs a Ray C80 package and I run a garmin 3010c with GSD22 sounder box (new digtial version) and I am glad I have the Garmin. I am not sure about the depths you are speaking of as I am a near shore / big bay fisherman

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Garmin has a great rep for reliability and particularly user freindliness. With their GPS esp. However I believe for sounders you can't go past Furuno who also have digital technology.
I have used the Raymarine Digital sounder and whilst the little D600 I think, was great. It's larger and much more expensive brother had big reliability probs.
I now use only Furuno but would certainly consider Garmin for GPS.

lgusto

Reaction score
I have a Raymarine C80 on my boat and would not recommend it. The three-year old radar had to be repaired ($700), the screen has become delaminated, and the depth sounder frequently loses connectivity.

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
Sorry to here that I'll make a mental note on the raymarine c-80. thats why I like this site hearing peopels experiences. with all these different manufactures and models I'm just not sure.thanks for your responces.