Ranges and fuel

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good morning all.

I am working on my maps, trying to get them up to speed... been a few years. I'll post a screenshot of one set of shapefiles I have.. heh

Anyway, the 270 can hold 150 gallons of fuel. Curious what sort of burn rates folks get on these or similar boats, with the 225 4-strokes. Just trying to get a "ballpark" what sort of range these have... not that I tend to push it, just sitting around and thinking, planning, and mapping schtuph ;)

And no, I do not load all those rigs.. lol.. I pick a path and download only the stuff I need for that day. Those were just some to choose from.. heh. I also have shipwrecks, reefs, etc.

R

Attachments

• all rigs.jpg
    all rigs.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 25

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Think I found my answer... somewhere around 275 miles on a full tank... optimal everything.

Quite the all-around boat.. heh

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I think you might be a tad high. I think you'll be around 1.5 MPG and you need to factor your reserve unless brining additional fuel. Prob closer to 200 miles.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was just going based on what someone said. At 4100rpm, 34mph they burned 17 mpg

Either way, seriously doubt I would go out more that 50 miles and I always factor fuel in the rules of 3...was just curious. You very well may be right, not disputing that, just going based upon another threat I read.

R

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My Sailfish gets around 1.5 miles to gallon on average. I would start with that assumption until you blow through a few tanks and find out what your boats actual is. Keep in mind that crew, gear, wave and winds can have a big impact of your consumption.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
looks like you got a lot of deep water and structure in close. I guess you will get snapper, grouper, AJs, blackfin, YFT, wahoo, kings and cobia around those rigs?
Probably no reason to go to the edge unless there is a decent swordfish bite? You guys get sailfish and marlin?

Looks like they might be building wind power in our area (NY Bight) in the 20 to 40 fathom range. That'd be nice. Probably hold more bluefins and maybe bring the yellowfins in off the edge.
Sorry, haven't been fishing since November...I'm rambling....o_O

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh, most definitely. I will not be even considering further than what I already know till I know for sure what this thing will do.

Skunk: We have tons of snapper, and such. I know this boat will do at least what my old Triton LTS did, and that was plenty close... heh

Oh, no need to go to the edge. I think Hospital Rock is the furthest I would even care to think of going, and not till I know this boat and it's abilities.

There are far too many places between there and port A to hit for all the above... ;)

R

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Everyone has their own way of calculating their fishing range. Here's my thinking for my boat. It's a little guy and only holds 82 gallons of fuel. I find that on a nice day, I can achieve about 3.5 MPG. I know from experience that many times the afternoon wind comes up and can slow me down to soften the chop and wreck that impressive MPG, so I use 2.75 MPG even if NOAA is calling for flat seas. I know that my 82 gallon tank doesn't yield 82 gallons for use but I use the number for my rough calculations. The old 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 system works for me. 1/3 for trip out, 1/3 for trip back, 1/3 for trolling on site and reserve. For me I have 225 total miles of range so that tells me I need to consider 75 miles to be my nominal fishing range. 65 miles is actually as far out as I have been and upon refueling, I had lots of reserve.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pretty much the way I figure it. I don’t have my glasses on, but if my math is right and I typed it right, the guy with the Islander said he got an ave of 34mph. If he burned an avg of 17.5 gallons per hour, he was just under 2 miles per gallon.

So, aboit the same.

Again, my math may be off a bit, been sick all weekend, but all irrelevant atm as I doubt I will be pushing limits anytime soon, just curious atm.

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
2 MPG would be impressive. You'll know what she is capable of when you splash her.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ok, again, I agree...not saying it was 2mpg, saying his numbers were and that would be if seas were calm etc. my guess it is much lower than that, given normal seas and weather.

I am not basing anything on an internet search, was just yakking. Even when my old boat could do 250 mile range, I never went past 20, so, everything I need is within range, just stuck in the house so watching youtube videos all freaking day, with a John Wayne thrown in for good measure

Oh, one thing I CAN guarantee...this boat LOOKS better at 20 miles out than my last one...lol

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Btw, here is the thread I read. He has 250’s, I have 225’s, so that may account for the better gas mileage? Who knows.

Like stated, once the boat is here and I get to run it, I will get a better feel for what she can do.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boats/grady-white-270-islander

So glad we did not have to tow her.. been sick as heck with allergies all weekend. Going to be a long week. Thank God I am still off 3 of 5 days this next week anyway heh

Russ

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Russ, the Islander 270 could be built by GW for single or twin engines. If a single, then only the main 150 gal tank is installed. If for twins, then a 56 gal aux tank is adeed as a belly tank under the bridge deck area. Actually, in the bilge, under the shelf that has the water tank and the holding tank.

Our boat came for a single engine and had just the main tank. We replaced the single 250hp OX66 with twin F150s after three seasons to get greater range for pelagic fishing.

Was your boat factory built for a single, or twins?

You may get 2mpg on good days, but don't plan on it. JMHO

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is my understanding this has two tanks. Not planning on 2 mpg, just trying to get a feel for how far they might go. The furthest out I would even care to go would be Hospital rock at like 50 miles. Baker is at 35-40 and that range with thos is everythingI could care to fish for.

Pushing that range would be, seriously... the max I would ever care to try, so pushing limits is not my thing heh.

R