Rate this deal**MY BOAT SEARCH THREAD**

Bigfoot

Reaction score
As said above, if it's clean and 4 banger you'll not steal it...my 1990 overnighter with F200 brought average price for seller. I did not steal it but did ok.

I passed on the (1993) SV2 Hull with 2 banger for less dollars to get the F motor.

IMHO, in this day and age anything with a 2 stroke needs to be bought right (steal @ price which will allow eventual re-power).

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Just called on an 02' only 280hrs. No warranty, no trailer, no auto pilot, no radar. Asking $59K. I offered $48K no go. New trailer is $5k. NEXT.

As I mentioned, I don't think you're going to get the traction you're looking for with a phone offer. I know it takes a lot more time to go see, inspect, and negotiate, but you'll have better success at closing a deal on a boat you really want.

Not only that, but once you've poured over a few in your target price range you'll know when you find the right one, it will be obvious to you what a great boat it is.

280 hours is really low. My motor is up on it's warranty too, they don't mean much to me. But that's just me.

I thought a trailer would be a lot more than that, they must be cheaper on the east coast.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This thread has taken an interesting spin in discussing the diferrence between "sales price" and "market value". I worked in commercial RE for 20 years and my wife is a residential RE broker. Same things being discussed here are happening in RE. There is a "market value" that can vary widely from the sales price depending on the motivations of buyer and seller. Unfortunately right now it seems neither party walks away from the RE closing happy. Each feels like they can do better.

FYI - here is the "accepted definition" of market value of RE. Commonly, the definition set forth for U.S. federally regulated lending institutions is used, although other definitions may also be used under some circumstances:

"The most probable price (in terms of money) which a property should bring in a competitive and open market under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, the buyer and seller each acting prudently and knowledgeably, and assuming the price is not affected by undue stimulus. Implicit in this definition is the consummation of a sale as of a specified date and the passing of title from seller to buyer under conditions whereby: the buyer and seller are typically motivated; both parties are well informed or well advised, and acting in what they consider their best interests; a reasonable time is allowed for exposure in the open market; payment is made in terms of cash in United States dollars or in terms of financial arrangements comparable thereto; and the price represents the normal consideration for the property sold unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale."

Therefore, if you are dealing with a seller that has no overriding incentive to sell and a buyer that is informed and not looking for only a "steal", you should have a sale price close to market value. I have been following 282 pricing out of curiosity for several months and it sounds like both of these boats are around market value.

So what is your motivation? From what I read I think it is to get the best boat to fit your needs for the money but you do not have to get a steal. Seems like a deal could be made here.

Bama96

Reaction score
Here is my true feelings. I want the 2005 model but can not justify $15k price difference over the 04'. $15K would buy a ton of gas and pay for the tower I want. I have seen the 05' and crawled all over it. It shows well and is very well kept. The 04' owner says his is a "9" out of ten on condition. Looks good from the pics. What would you guys pay for the 05'? How much diffeence between the 2 could you stand? $5K? $8K? Plus the 05' is an hour away and the 04' is 8 hours away.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
Z4J said:
SlimJim said:
You can get a better deal on a 300 Marlin.

I posted on the for sale forum that my friend just made quite a good deal on a new GW28
and that I was dealing on a new 30 from the same Grady dealer.
A poster suggested I take a look at some other sale sites for used Gradys.
I was amazed at how many GW30's are for sale, other grady models too.

I contacted some sellers and found the 50% depreciation to be 2006 models from sellers who really want to sell (have to sell).

Many very aggressive sellers are willing to make all kinds of deals.
It gets very confusing when you have 8 or 10 boats to choose from
and sellers keep emailing you with a new deal, "please buy my boat".

It really makes you feel bad to hear their sad stories
same as housing, owners way over their head

50% depreciation of what? MSRP?

Bill_N

Reaction score
Just the fact that it's year newer is proably worth 4-5k. Lower hours are worth something too. Maybe 8-9k difference in value.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Earlier in the thread you said the '04 was $60K, the '05 was $70K. Is the other 5K for a trailer on the latter?

Are you really going to keep it on a trailer? Do you have to tow it far to launch it? Do you have a really great launch ramp close?

That's a big boat. I would do it too, but one of the very nicest launches in the whole southland here has dry storage at the launch. Would make it pretty handy.

That's a tough choice on two boats. An eight hour drive to look at the cheaper one is a chore. I could not make a decision on either without looking at them both and using the experience you'll gain by doing that.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There wasn't a $15K difference when the boats were new between the two years, so why would you pay that now, 4 - 5 yrs later?

Find out the difference in sale price when they were new, then take off 50% or more.

Ask the seller who says the condition is 9 out of 10, to explain why it's not a 10 out of 10, or in other words, what's the missing 1 ?

You have to have a bargaining tool to negotiate the price with, so far you have none. You are the type of buyer I hope calls me one day when I'm selling - don't take that the wrong way.

As soon as you made me an offer as you did, I would say "why so low?". And you would have nothing to say but stand there. And I don' take offers over phone, unless you offer me asking price.

You need to visit the boats or have a local representativetative local do it for you, then you will be able to price up the condition as you see it, i.e. the so called 1 out of 10 missing.

I would drop the price for you just a little, since I know you want the boat but have no idea what's it's worth. I could have dropped more, but know I have you on the hook already.

If Bama is up north, wait another month and call both back, you will get another $5-8 K off, wait two months and double that.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So let me see if I understand. You can save $10,000 and get a trailer on a boat that is 1 year older and has 400 more hours? If it were me here's how I would look at it. The trailer is probably worth $2,000 if you want to sell it so you are now at a $12,000 difference. If you assume these engines are good for 2,000 hours then the difference is 20% of the expected life. What's a 250F worth, $18,000? So you are talking about a $3,600 hit per engine or $7,200. Now the net difference between the boats is $4,400. You can make additional adjustments based on conditions you find, equipment, and or the assumptions I have made.

Bottom line, $4,400 for one year's difference seems reasonable.

Also you might see if somebody on this forum is in the area and could preview the boat for you. Could save you 16 hours on the road.

Good luck and try to have fun with this!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whoever the seller is who said he won't go lower than $75K, probably owes that much on the note. Makes sense (to seller, not a buyer!)

What does that have to do with market price?

Few of those sellling really want to sell since they will be getting hit hard, you just have to find the ones who want to be done selling and get it over with, have to sell it. My advise doesn't change - unless you fall in love with it then different rules apply! The others will stay with what they have for now, enjoy it, look forward to future, and wait and see.

One example, there's 33 Grady for sale for a few years now up here, with same ad and price over the time, Part of ad reads "motors warrantied until June 2009". Same ad still runs. What do you think of this seller, does he want to sell, yes or no ? I hope it's not one of you GG members!

SHOP, SHOP, SHOP , no better time for buyers, unless you wait until next month (up north here).

You are not going to find good deals reflective of the times without time and shopping, after all, anyone can pay asking price on the first boat they call.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bob's Cay - at the table neither RE party seller or buyer is happy? But you didn't say why -

It' s because the market is unstable - don't know where it's going. Same follows in boating.

No RE person ever said it's not a good time to sell or buy, so no trust in what one hears upon entering the agent's office.

When RE market returns the staying power will be many years on the price rise, all will know this, no uncertainty then. No hyper buying trends until then.

The reason the interest rates on CDs and the like are at all time lows (less than 2%?), is because oodles of cash money is being pumped into these intruments, not being spent on boat/car/house, etc down payments.

Why?

Bama96

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Earlier in the thread you said the '04 was $60K, the '05 was $70K. Is the other 5K for a trailer on the latter?

Are you really going to keep it on a trailer? Do you have to tow it far to launch it? Do you have a really great launch ramp close?

That's a big boat. I would do it too, but one of the very nicest launches in the whole southland here has dry storage at the launch. Would make it pretty handy.

That's a tough choice on two boats. An eight hour drive to look at the cheaper one is a chore. I could not make a decision on either without looking at them both and using the experience you'll gain by doing that.

No I did say $70 but that was the number I thought he would take. I was wrong he is at $75. It does include the trailer.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bama, you can also try calling a few ads where boats have been sold to see if the seller will tell you what he let it go for. Remember condition and location are big factors (sound like real estate??).

The unbelievable deal I wouldn't be lookng for myself since I'm time limited, but instead, the condition and price to reflect the current state of business, not the state of business 3 yrs ago.

I have been always willing to overpay for condition, that's all, and not by much but enough to allow the seller the recognition for maintaining such a boat condition.
That's just me, others may prefer bottom line first and minimum condition as good enough, and place no extra value on bristol or near bristol condition.

It would take me several weeks and several trips of hundreds of miles to figure out the Sailfish market. And yes it would be tiring, but I'd find what I wanted, even new for that matter.

I live in NY and was hours away from hoping on a plane down to South Carolina until a seller took boat off market, that's when supply was tight. Had few choices, none locally.

Bama96

Reaction score
BobP said:
There wasn't a $15K difference when the boats were new between the two years, so why would you pay that now, 4 - 5 yrs later?

Find out the difference in sale price when they were new, then take off 50% or more.

Ask the seller who says the condition is 9 out of 10, to explain why it's not a 10 out of 10, or in other words, what's the missing 1 ?

You have to have a bargaining tool to negotiate the price with, so far you have none. You are the type of buyer I hope calls me one day when I'm selling - don't take that the wrong way.

As soon as you made me an offer as you did, I would say "why so low?". And you would have nothing to say but stand there. And I don' take offers over phone, unless you offer me asking price.

You need to visit the boats or have a local representativetative local do it for you, then you will be able to price up the condition as you see it, i.e. the so called 1 out of 10 missing.

I would drop the price for you just a little, since I know you want the boat but have no idea what's it's worth. I could have dropped more, but know I have you on the hook already.

If Bama is up north, wait another month and call both back, you will get another $5-8 K off, wait two months and double that.

I am in the south nd both boats are in the south. My boating season never ends.

It's not like a called this guy up and said hey will you take 60 for that rig? I have been talking with him all week and went over every option and known defect on the boat. I offered $58K and he countered at $62K. After I weighed the options, condition, other boats on the market, and what NADA says as well as my personal feeling of what it is worth to me. We finally met $60K after I told him my concerns on the motors and 1000 hour service that is coming. Valve adjustments, timing belt replacement etc. By the way there a F225s with 4000 hours on them still running strong. Not sure where someone got the useful life at 2,000. All that comes down to care and maintenance and he says he has all the records.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm glad to hear it, that wasn't the impression based on what you wrote.

Make sure you do the survey and motor test blowdown/compression thing, Yami 4 stroke owners have complained about them making oil, where the oil level rises and overflows from gasoline enrtering crank case. No fix for it.

Set your offer contingent on successful survey and motor test, otherwsie you place a lot of trust in seller being honest.

SlimJim

Reaction score
based on eveything that I have read in this thread, I would buy the 2005. newer boat and engines and lower hours go a long way.

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks for all your opinions guys. I really appreciate an open and honest discussion. One question regarding a survey. I have heard horror stories regarding surveyors. I was told to be present and meet the surveyor at the boat when he did his inspection. Also, can they do the leak down compression check or does a mechanic have to do that? Do most surveyors have a laptop with the Yamaha software to check engine hours and print out the history at rpms?

SlimJim

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Thanks for all your opinions guys. I really appreciate an open and honest discussion. One question regarding a survey. I have heard horror stories regarding surveyors. I was told to be present and meet the surveyor at the boat when he did his inspection. Also, can they do the leak down compression check or does a mechanic have to do that? Do most surveyors have a laptop with the Yamaha software to check engine hours and print out the history at rpms?
Most of them will only do the boat and test ride. I would get both. The engines are where you will run into the most $$$ problems and I would get a Yamaha guy with YDS check out everything. Get the ser numbers off both engines and send them to Andy at Sim and see if he will run a check for you on those numbers. He will pull up all the problems that have come up as far as Yamaha warranty goes.

Bama96

Reaction score
I wanted also to know the rpm usage break down. Were most of the hours trolling or at cruise? Just got off the phone with the guy who has the 05'. Squeezed another $2K out of him. Down to $73K. Now only $13K difference. NADA says the difference in hull only, motors, and trailer is $6585 Low retail and $7495 High retail. Not $13,000 :shock: DAMN DAMN DAMN.

SlimJim

Reaction score
the YDS check will tell you this. I wish you the best. The 2005 deal is sounding better and better.