Rate this deal**MY BOAT SEARCH THREAD**

Bama96

Reaction score
The 05'guy says he has another out of town buyer a broker is bringing him Tuesday. Says he is netting $73 after the commission. Said I could have it for that but I had to decide before Sunday so he could keep the guy from getting on a plane. Guess I am getting "closed" by him. May be true but feels like the old sales job.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Bama,
Please don't take this the wrong way...But you are worrying too much about the "Deal". Sure there are going to be "Steals" out there...But they are few and far between and are usually gone very quickly - Will you be there at the right time? How long are you willing to wait to save a few grand?

I'm not trying to minimize the fact that you don't want to overpay but both those boats are good deals. If it were me it's no competition - the 2005 is newer and had been used less - 800 hours on the motors means thousands on the boat - Everything wears with use - You're getting a much newer boat for 13K.

You can go back and forth forever on a few boats and you'll end up getting a slightly better deal for an older boat (Which is what it will be 6 months from now when you end up buying it). If you are close to the 2005 go take a solid look and if you like it make the deal - Then go out and enjoy the boat and don't look back. There is ALWAYS a better deal - ALWAYS - Just go for a nice deal - Getting the right boat is more important than a few $$ in the long run...Best of luck....

PS...Two boats just like what you are looking at sold up here a month ago for 80K

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bama, surveyors don't do motors, call a Yamaha dealer and say you want a pre-purchase full motor evaluation. THey don't neciissarily require sea trial, unless they find something wrong on the blocks.

For the boat, I had a meatball surveyor who missed stuff, or perhaps it was due to the "no intrusive" inspection SAMS nonsense legal fine print.

Get a surveyor who has experience in Gradys, do interview on the phone and ask what he found wrohg with past inspection of Gradys, what Grday modles and years did he do, etc?
If he said all boats are the same, Gradys are great, and found only a busted cabinet door hinge, keep looking.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Boat prices in the northeast are much higher than down south, even higher further up than NY, that's why many are purchased down south and hauled up here.

The internet has brought all these boats for sale to us where in the past they were not.

The day I closed on a brokered boat I bought in Maryland, a buyer from Maine also bought a boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, I realize people look to NADA, only use NADA if it benefits your position (in negotiation), as buyer or seller, whatever the case may be.

Its meaningless otherwise, even for insurance.

The value is based on the laws of supply and demand, at the particular time and season, political elections, Katrinas, etc.

Bama96

Reaction score
Well just found out after getting the Hull ID # that the 04' is actually an 03'. He bought it in 04'. No deal right now. How do you not know what year your boat is? Makes you wonder what else he might have "forgotten".

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you look at the hull ID# the last 3 or 4 digits should give you the month and year it was built. The date of manufacture does not always coincide with model years, it just depends on when they start product of the next years model. For example they may have started building an '05 late in '04.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BAMA - be careful

Being in a hurry doesn't benefit you (it does him).

And have the motor mechanic verify motor hours if you get that far.

Bama96

Reaction score
Backing off that deal now. Too many unanswered questions and he is not coming off the price enough since now it an 03'. You guys keep a lookout for a clean Sailfish.

Z4J

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Backing off that deal now. Too many unanswered questions and he is not coming off the price enough since now it an 03'. You guys keep a lookout for a clean Sailfish.

I think he was aking too much even if it was 2004. Lots of deals, take your time, the 2010's are coming and every boat becomes a year older.

Bama96

Reaction score
I know you guys are about tired of me but I am still looking for a boat. My wife is ready to divorce me. Found a 2001 Sailfish 282 with 225 Yamaha carbed motors, no trailer, no bottom paint, Furuno electronics, auto pilot and AC with shore power. 500 hrs on the boat. What kind of value? NADA says $40K with no adds. He is asking $55K. How thirsty are those Ox 66 motors?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You didn't go look at the '05 one? Or have someone preview it for you?

If you've run a single fourstroke I think you would croak on the fuel bill for twin OX66's. Just my hunch. Fuel burn is about 30% more, plus the oil, and they smoke and they stink. At least find a pair of HPDI's and run HPi synthetic in them.

This is fun. We can shop vicariously through you. :p

Bama96

Reaction score
Yes I looked at the 05' and offered him $70K. He turned me down and said $73K was his lowest price. He has all of sudden gotten all these phantom buyers lined up. Just pissed me off the way he tried to close me. He is letting 3K stop him from selling a boat he has had for sale for over a year. These sellers are killing me. :x

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
You won't be happy with the two strokes...They are great motors but at that price you're way better of going for a little more and getting something newer.

I'd look at the 2005 a little differently....YOU are letting 3K keep you from getting a solid, low hour boat in (Supposedly) great condition.....Will you find a better deal?...You might....Eventually.....How long are you willing to wait....If you find a 2005 in 6 months for 70K do you think it is a better deal?...No way...It's 6 months older....I hope you get what you're looking for but I think the "Deal" may be more important to you than the boat.....

sraab928

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
I know you guys are about tired of me but I am still looking for a boat. My wife is ready to divorce me. Found a 2001 Sailfish 282 with 225 Yamaha carbed motors, no trailer, no bottom paint, Furuno electronics, auto pilot and AC with shore power. 500 hrs on the boat. What kind of value? NADA says $40K with no adds. He is asking $55K. How thirsty are those Ox 66 motors?

My 1998 OX 66's are fuel injected. I do not have enough time to tell how thirsty they are. That price does sound a little high to me.

Bama96

Reaction score
Fishermanbb said:
You won't be happy with the two strokes...They are great motors but at that price you're way better of going for a little more and getting something newer.

I'd look at the 2005 a little differently....YOU are letting 3K keep you from getting a solid, low hour boat in (Supposedly) great condition.....Will you find a better deal?...You might....Eventually.....How long are you willing to wait....If you find a 2005 in 6 months for 70K do you think it is a better deal?...No way...It's 6 months older....I hope you get what you're looking for but I think the "Deal" may be more important to you than the boat.....

No the "DEAL" is not more important. What is wrong with paying a price for a boat you feel comfortable with? Not everyone can afford a big azz Express like yours. Just sayin. I set a cash budget of $70K and I am trying to stick to it. I want the cleanest best maintained boat for the least amount of money. I am 35 years old and don't need a boat payment at this time. I want to pay cash for my toys and I am not interested in borrowing a dime. Are you this guys brother or something? LOL. :D

SlimJim

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Fishermanbb said:

No the "DEAL" is not more important. What is wrong with paying a price for a boat you feel comfortable with? Not everyone can afford a big azz Express like yours. Just sayin. I set a cash budget of $70K and I am trying to stick to it. I want the cleanest best maintained boat for the least amount of money. I am 35 years old and don't need a boat payment at this time. I want to pay cash for my toys and I am not interested in borrowing a dime. Are you this guys brother or something? LOL. :D
offer him 65k or up to 70k and leave it at that, tell him you are looking at othe boats and thats the best you can do. Let it go after that. Its only going to get better from here on out, this winter is going to be some vey very good buys.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
No...I'm not this guy's brother. I don't sell boats or anything else. The boat I have is irrelevant. If your top line budget is 70K that's fine. I don't ever remember reading that - In fact, I re-read all of your posts in this thread and it never says that. However, what you did say in so many words - TWICE is: "I don't like the way he tried to close me" - That sounds like the "Deal" is what is bothering you more than the price. If he hadn't tried to "Close" you would you have been willing to go another 3K?

All I was saying is that it really doesn't matter if you like this guy or not. It's the boat that matters and if you like it ( and you said "It showed well" and the deal is pretty close to what you want why let the owner's style get in the way. If it's over your max budget that's fine - That's not the way it read.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
I have read this discussion with great interest. I am a true believer that there comes a point that you can get "analysis paralysis". You have to do your homework but if you become so fearful of not getting the "perfect deal" you will never find the boat you want.
Bukster