Raw water washdown pump

kendcc

Reaction score
Hey guys (and those boating ladies)

I have a problem with my raw water washdown... Yesterday it worked in the morning, but it quit on me. I've diconnected the power right next to the pump and tested 12vlts right at the connector so I don't think there's a fuse issue unless the pump itself has a fuse. This is also after eleviating pressure (so it should have free flowed). No motor movement at all. The pump hasn't been used much at all but the boat is a 2005.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!!!

Dave.

jpclarkie

Reaction score
Your pump issue

Check to see if any debris was pumped into the hose and pump. If it is clear and it doesn't work after you put it back together, then, yes , it is the pump itself. It is supposed to last longer, but sometimes things don't last as long as we would like.

catch22

Reaction score
Try tapping on the motor housing, while applying power. If your wire connections are good and the pump starts, it's probably the pressure switch, (which is often the case) and not the pump motor. They either stick, or fail "open". I've seen them crack too, (don't know why). Even if it doesn't run after tapping on it, I would still go after the switch. Unfortunately, you have to remove the switch to either check it with a meter and/or bypass it to make sure the motor does operate and that means removing the entire pump from the boat.

If the switch is bad though, you can usually get a replacement.

If it's a Shurflo, find your model and click on "replacement parts".
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Marine/mar ... down.html#

seasick

Reaction score
When you measure the 12 volts I assume you used the two leads going to the motor so that you tested the supply and the ground.
If the juice is good, rap the motor as mentioned.
Take off the output hose connection, make sure the seacock is open, see if there is a filter or screen inline with the pump. There is a pressure switch in the pump itself that may be stuck. The switch can be opened and checked but you will have to remove the pump to get to it. If the simple things don't work, remove the pump and connect it directly to the battery just to make sure the connections are good. If it runs, don't run it for long without water.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are supposed to check voltage while still connected to the pump, when you turn it on, to see if there is voltage while on, a bad connection along the way will appear normal in voltage with no load. A voltmeter is a no load device. If the pressure switch is open, then its as good as being disconnected. Expecto see battery volateg in this case.

It's not likely but possible a bad connection along the way, just don't want to see you replace the thing and the new one does the same.

Been there, done that, lesson learned.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pump

If you measured 12 volts across the pump then its the pump.

The motor brushes hang up and a careful rap with a hammer may get it going. This fix usually doesn't work for long. If it does start shopping for a new pump.

They usually mount these pumps in unprotected places, they get wet and the housings start to corrode. If your pump fits that description you might as well buy a new one. Hopefully you can get the same model and not make a bigger project out of it.

The ShurFlo diaphram pumps have a pressure switch on the pump end. These switchs do go. Take it off and test motor/pump. The ShurFlow pressure switches are off the shelf Cherry or equiv. microswitches that are readialy available. Johnstone Supply and Grainger (pn 6X291) has them for under $3.