Ray marine S1000 auto pilot

Capt CMG

Reaction score
Was looking to buy an autopilot and liked Ray Marines S1000 model, can anybody give me any feedback about this unit. I'll be installing it on a 25 sailfish with twin 200 yamahas.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is not good enough pump for your boat, it was made for smaller boats with singles or twins under 150, I talked with Raymarine for a long time. I know guys who installed them last season and they have not had problems, but guys who have had them longer burn out the pump, it cannot handle the ram's on bigger duel engine boats. the unit would be ok, but overall is not that great. I intially looked into it when I began researching autopilots, the price is tempting. You can get the S1 core package without the rudder feed back for little more, it is a way better unit if you want to stay cheap and simple. It will update quicker and have less issues in the long run. An S1000 will not keep a course under 5mph, and it has a 3 degree variation each direction of your course. It kind of defeats the purpose. The S1 core package(about $1100-1300 as a boat show special price right now) has a bigger hydralic pump which will suit your boat size better, and it has its own compass to update along with info from the gps which makes it keep a course better and at lower speeds, it will also keep you on a better course. Your best bet is to get the complete S1G package, without rudder ref they are going for about $1350-$1400 as a boat show special if you look around. The rudder reference is not necessary, but would help if you plan to use the autopilot a lot. The G package has the gyro, this helps keep the boat on course better in rough seas, the software learns how the boat handles in conditions and learns to overcome any sudden changes like the S1 or S1000 would have and keep you from falling off a wave face violently in a beam sea. The S1G is also the most accurate of all 3 options and will get you to your location with accuracy. I am putting the S1G core pack (E12122) on my 265 Express with F225's, I got a price of under $1600 for the complete package with rudder reference. I run offshore, 80-110nm so it is worth the extra money to do it right. I also troll stripers, and being able to hold a course under 5mph is important. The price of the S1000 was tempting, but it is so basic that it lacks a bit for a bigger boat. If I was looking for an autopilot for a smaller rig with a single only to use for longer runs in calmer seas,, an S1000 would be good. My buddy has a 29 welcraft with the S1000, in anything over 3ft it is very jerky he said and he ends up taking it off autopilot and running it anyways, these are the seas you'd rather run it in and have more concentration on the water. If your talking 6+ft, that is a different story, in boats our size running it manually might be safer at that point. My advice, spend the money for atleast the S1 core pack with the ST6002 controller and the correct size pump that can handle your boat size and ram type. It is a step up and willl last longer for not much more money. Going to the S1G would be your best bet but would cost a bit more and might not be worth it for your use. If you make long runs though, I'd highly advise spending the extra cash, it will be well worth the money for the gyro, even if it means not having the rudder reference.

Capt CMG

Reaction score
I appreciate the input, looks like i'll be spending a little more money. I'm in erie, pa and defenitely need the boat to troll slow (below 2mph), and be able to hold in rough seas. Thanks again