Raymarine autopilot for 265?

Bill_N

Reaction score
I just picked up a C120 and Radome for my Grady 265. That shoots the upgrade budget for this year but I'm thinking of adding an autopilot next year. Can anyone tell me what Raymarine unit is recommended for a 265 w/twin 225's?

Thx, Bill

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and consider either a Simrad or TR1 unit.Both will work excellent with the raymarine units

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just bought an autopilot for my 265, just started the install 2 days ago. I had hoped to buy a simrad unit, they are the best out there. TR-1's are great but to you need to buy another screen to have a digital display, more money they con you into, the Simrad would be a better value. Due to my budget being a little below what these 2 brands cost, I went with a Raymarine E12122 autopilot kit. It is the sport pilot kit, S1G core pack, which includes gyro, Linear Rudder Reference so the computer knows the position of your engines, course compass, Type 1 Pump, and ST6002 controller. ST8002 was a $200 upgrade, although I would have perfered having a know like the ST8002 has, there is no difference betwene the 2 except the knob, to me not worth the added cost. The S core packs are now being discontinued and being replaced by the new series, the replacements will be roughly $800 more. The new units have some more features, but for typical use that I do, not worth it. Also, that price increase puts the new Raymarine's in the same price as the Simrad, and at that point I would have went with their products.

The E12122 is the right size and includes most stuff you will need. Being you already have Raymarine, you will only need the Hydralic install Kit, roughly $90, but you would need that with any autopilot, and depending on where you put the Control head in relation to the E series screen, you might need a longer Sea Talk cable, everything else comes in the autopilot kit, purchasing another brand would also require a NMEA chord.

I purchased my E12122 at boat show pricing, $1519 plus tax. Since the unit is now discontinued by Raymarine many places are looking to get rid of them to bring in the new series and are offering them at discounted pricing. If you do not want the rudder reference, it is about $200 cheaper, and being that you will have a course compass likely with your E series, you might not need that, reducing the price a little more(check that you have the course compass, you should, if not you will need it)

I have ran boats with Raymarine AP's and been happy with them, they track fairly well and are fairly easy to use. A Simrad unit is the best, and my favorite, but for the added cost and my use, it is not a justifiable expense, and I'm not worried about resale. I plan to use my AP for long runs offshore, anywhere from 30-110nm, we make about 5 trips a season about 30-60nm and then 3-5 trips a season beyond that. I typically like to be behind the wheel on the troll, so the only time the AP will be used is to follow a weed line or temp break which can be done fairly easily once you are familiar with the unit, or to track in a straight line with multiple fish on when an extra hand is needed in the cockpit.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I've been on a couple boats with Raymarine autopilots and they seem fine. One of the guys set his on a zig zag pattern while we were trolling along the edge and that seemed to work pretty well. I know the Garmin units are in the $2500 range and was hoping to get out of it a little cheaper than that.

Thanks, Bill

Islander

Reaction score
I have the Raymarine ST8002 S1G SmartPilot, which I added to my Islander 270 in 2006. With three seasons and approx 150 hours of use, it has performed flawlessly. I know many favor the Simrad, but I really like my unit. I think it is a very good value, particularly with its availability at a reduced price as noted.

As an aside on Raymarine: I had a question on my Raymarine fishfinder a couple of weeks ago and contacted the technical department at Raymarine. Their help was immediate and outstanding--even though I think I was the dunce (and the next example below proves it), they sent me without charge for the unit or shipping, a transducer that I could use to test out my fishfinder. Also, playing around with my C80, the radar and switching among different functions, I for some reason hit the "night view" on the display, at which point it went black (i.e., dimmed for night view so nothing was visible on the screen in broad, bright daylight). I could not figure out how to get it back to normal operation, but a phone call from out on the Gulf to the 800 number got me to a Raymarine Tech who walked me through the simple steps to get the unit back in the normal mode. In other words, for those of us who appreciate Grady-White at least in part for its customer service, I have been just as pleased with Raymarine.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Funny you mention the tech support. I called them yesterday at lunchtime with a question on what Nav chip to buy. Couldn't get thru and I got a msg saying that they have 30 minute email response time so I put the question in an email. Left work at 4PM and hadn't gotten a response yet.
I was hoping this wasn't the norm.

Islander, Glad to hear you like your ST8000...