raymarine c series radar - which one?

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
I have a raymarine c series setup. next on the list is radar. anyone have experience with this? open array vs raydome? 4kw or 2 kw. all feedback is appreciated.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had a 4kw w/ my c-80. nice display. used kvh autocomp 1000 heading sensor for overlay.

you need to figure out what you want as far as target distinction and go from there. you can spend a little or a lot of $$. ron

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
I am not even sure what target distinction is, but I would image it would have to do with the clarity you can see objects.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
pick up a copy of "radar for mariners" by david burch (glen from tht suggested) it is very useful and worth reading before you spend the money if you are that unfamiliar with radar. one caution; there is some EXTREMELY technical sections that might make your head hurt. the majority is very straightforward and will definitely help in making your decision. some of the info is a little dated (recent advances not fully covered), but it is great reference. ron

Bill_N

Reaction score
It depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's only navigation, I would buy the 2kw radome. If you want to locate birds etc with it for locating fish you need the 4kw.

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
you can locate birds for locating fish? wow you learn something new every day! I will go with the 4kW.....

Bill_N

Reaction score
Like anything else with radar, you have to experiment with the settings to figure out how your unit should be adjusted