Raymarine C80 questions

bhemi

Reaction score
I have the classic version Raymarine C80 set up. Radar,GPS and fishfinder. I finally got my boat all buttoned up and took it out on Saturday. I got a "DSM signal lost" error message several times and the screen would flicker from time to time. I searched the Raymarine site and several other websites. From what I gather it's probably either low voltage from the batteries or a cable problem from the transducer. Has anyone else had this problem?

bhemi

Reaction score
thanks

Did you clean them at both ends and how did you do it? Spray on cleaner or a little fine sandpaper?

richie rich

Reaction score
I have the same set up...it was low voltage from my batteries...they were drawn down from sitting in a storage rack and I basically went out on 60% batteries...between the electronics, stereo, and low speed trolling it happened...so now I run a third battery for the main electronics and have a line to the mains as backup if needed.

JGH

Reaction score
That's funny...same thing happened to me this weekend w/ a C80. The GPS worked, but the sounder stopped and I got the same message. I checked connections and didn't see anything so brought it to dealer.

richie rich

Reaction score
I believe the C80 needs a minimum of 10 or 11 volts to stay lit properly. A fully charged battery averages around 13.2 volts and you can lose 1 to 1.5 just through multiple electronics use, additional starting when drift fishing or not topping off the batteries on a regular basis. My unit use to flicker during engine starting even when the batteries were at full charge because of the 2 or 3 second drain when turning over the engines. That's why I went with a third battery and solar panel.

lgusto

Reaction score
Guys, I have the same problem with my C80. Whenever I start the engines I lose the DSM connection but the unit recovers after 2-3 seconds. Also, sometimes at idle, especially after coming off running speed, I'll get the "DSM signal lost" message and the sounder won't come back unless I shut off all batteries for about 30 seconds and turn them back on.

Thankfully I haven't seen any screen flicker problems.

Does that sound similar to your problems, and short of adding a dedicated battery do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

richie rich

Reaction score
Larry, that sounds very similar to what my system was doing before installing a 3rd battery. The only difference is the shutting off of the batteries for 30 seconds to reset the system. I didn't have to do that. The flickering comes when the voltage drop is getting close the the minimum required for the C80...its just reaching that 11volt area and starts to phase out like that...similar to a flashlight with a battery running low, except you don't want to smack it!....if you put it in gear and run with some speed, the alternator on the engine keeps up with demand, but when you slow back down, a weak or undercharged battery becomes a problem again.

The system needs a full charged battery set up so if you leave the dock topped off you should be OK, other than when you turn over the starters, which is really no big deal. But with all the stuff on a boat these days, chartplotter, radar, FM stereo, laptops etc this may put more of a drain on the battery, so I installed a solar panel and 3rd box. I ran a back up +/- cable between #3 and the other batteries "just in case" I need power to the electronics, or a spare start for the engines, but otherwise they are isolated. I think the newer/bigger GW's have a better overall system which eliminates this issue, but the older smaller boats may run into this.

lgusto

Reaction score
hmmm, still not sure where to go with this. I have two new batteries this year, AGMs that are awesome. I can sit in port for 2-3 days on one battery running anything I want and it still starts the engine when I'm ready to go. It doesn't seem to be a battery problem.

Is there a voltage regulator involved in the GW/Yamaha setup? Maybe that device is having trouble keeping the proper level.

thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
you are getting a voltage drop somewhere....thats a classic sign, but where??? I hate electrical problems....you can't see them! I'd rather have something physically broken than chasing a spark somewhere.