Raymarine Dome Re-installation

meletong

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 282 (2005) was just transported from Brooklyn to Myrtle Beach. The Raymarine Radar one had to be removed in case the were any clearance issues. Does anyone have any pointers to re-installing it? the manuals on Raymarine site didn’t’t seem helpful. I need to reconnect the cable to the inside of the dome. Mechanics are backed up 3-4 weeks.
It’s the 24” dome connected to C120.

Thanks in advance!

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
My 2020 Raymarine Quantum 2 was pretty straightforward. The cable connection is on the exterior underside of the unit and is the plug and twist lock type. The 2005 Furuno it replaced was a bit more involved and had to have the exterior of the dome removed so the cable connections could be undone from the interior of the unit and the cable strain relief could be removed. It sounds like you've got something more akin to the Furuno, have you opened up the dome yet to see what it looks like inside? There wasn't much to mine and there was only one obvious connection point for the cable.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
There should be two cables: 1) data and 2) power.

The data cable is likely 5 or six pins and the power cable is likely two pins. They are different sizes and only go in one way due to having a "key".

Just connect them and you should be good to go.

captain swag

Reaction score
Go to Raymarine Legacy Product page for instructions on how to wire the dome, be careful with the data plug...it is very fragile.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Should be fairly simple with a main cable connection. Don’t cut any cables.

captain swag

Reaction score
There is no "Main Cable" there are either two red + leads and two black - leads. each is separate and goes into a pry open pin type clamp holder. The light duty cable has one black and one red. The 24" dome is the 4kw radome. The eight or nine wire data line is separate and is the thin 1/2 inch black plug. Note the guide grooves as you insert it, it should click into place unless the small retainer has snapped off. There is a braided shield over the cable, this goes under the silver clamp held down by two screws to establish a shielded ground. Run the radar before putting the cover on to confirm connections. The pins can be replaced in the black plug but require a microscope and modulated soldering device. Easier to buy a new radar cable. Went through all this last month on my sons Grady. Max Marine Electronics has new cables still for these analog radars.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had an old raytheon that I recently sold. Capt swag gave a good description. Just make sure you get the cable fittings and grommets on in the correct order BEFORE connecting things.

radar swap_7.jpegradar swap_6.jpeg

radar swap_8.jpeg

Last edited: