raymarine quantum wireless radar

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
looking at raymarine quantum q24c wireless radar to go with my raymarine axiom mfd which is wifi capable.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
whoops, does anyone have any opinion or experience with wifi radar?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No experience with wireless. Hedging my opinion..hehe

you still have to run power to it. 1 cable vs 2 cables Not sure of the advantage on a small boat.

Not sure if wifi is an advantage over an ethernet cable except that making an end on an ethernet cable requires a tool and a lot of patience.
I'm old...I like wire...but wifi won't corrode...seems to be the future of boat data connections.

I think you have the option of wifi or cable with that unit so you're not stuck if you have wifi problems

Last edited:

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
power is there but data cable needs to be snaked using an abandoned coax cable left in place. i have failed miserably making ethernet cables not an option here. i will ponder the situation, but agree wireless is the future

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
i have failed miserably making ethernet cables not an option here.
When I set up my garmin network I had to make 3 ends. They all came out great but the first one I got confused and didn't do the crossover right. Thought I was working on the other end. Had to cut it off and do it again.
I just had to take my hardtop off...had to cut 2 ethernet cables to pull them back out...:mad:

I guess wifi is a good idea. Hope it works well.

DDst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used these , work great

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 1.49.20 PM.png

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mine works great. Had a power unit go bad last year Raymarine sent me a new dome. Never had an issue with WiFi going bad. I use it every trip

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I plan on installing the Wifi radar to go with my Axiom MFD this spring. On my boat, I have an open tap in the overhead radio box fuse / distribution block, so all I'll need to do is run power wire from Radar through hardtop and power it there - maybe 3 feet total. Then I'll add a toggle switch up by the dome light to power radar. Avoids the need to snake wires through the aluminium tube going to helm, which is somewhat tricky with existing wires in there.

Seems more and more companies are going to Wifi for MFD and accessories. Its obviously a reliable standard and only issue would be for very big boats where metal interference could be a problem. Not the case for a 22' Grady!

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I run the Q24D to the Axiom Pro on my 265 using the wifi connection and have had no problems with it at all. Have not had any instances of lag or dropped signal.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
The tech has been around long enough...should not be an issue..I wired my Garmin last year..haha