Raymarine Rant

lgusto

Reaction score
For the past couple of years I've been posting answers when folks ask what electronics they should consider for their boats. My standard answer is "don't buy Raymarine". I have a C80 with a chartplotter, sonar, radar and Sirius satellite weather. It's all absolute junk.

To top it all off, a month ago I became frustrated enough with the equipment to suffer through an hour's wait on hold to talk to a technician. They told me to upgrade my software...which I did. The new software did nothing to improve the problems but did completely disable my radar/chartplotter overlay. Today, after another hour on hold, I was told "oh, yeah, the new version does break that. You should buy a $1,000 autopilot to fix the problem". Another 30 minutes was spent being passed around from tech support to sales and back, because apparently the old software version was no longer available.

Long story short, avoid Raymarine at all costs. I don't know how they became an established name in the marine electronics world but their products and support are now trash.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
first, buy a $250 kvh azimuth 1000 compass and you'll be good to go with the overlay. $350 gets the autocomp 1000 which has no display but can be remotely mounted. check this out http://www.kvh.com/Leisure/Marine-Syste ... asses.aspx

i had a c80 with radar and used the autocomp for overlay. i truly had no complaints other than the ray equipment was just not "intuitive". i am a garmin fan.

on the c80, did you perform a double master reset after the update? for some reason, they require that on this one. check out the update instructions on the website and if you didn't do the double reset, try that.

i know you said you've had the equipment for years, but maybe some time at the dock just playing around with it could be helpful. i still do that, even with my garmin stuff, just to see how to operate things better.

hope things work out for you, ron

fastal

Reaction score
Larry, if you can get down to NH you can go to their facility.....go in there ranting and I bet you get some attention. If you need a good tech to work on it call Bill Hooper owner/operator of Blue Fronteir LLC 978-360-8137, he is certified Raymarine tech and the best around as far as I can tell, done lots of work for me and I know he travels.