Raymarine Ray70 VHF w AIS receiver

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Icom VHF just crapped out. On/off button, and I've been having some transmission/recieving questions recently anyway. Time for a new one.

Since I have a recent Raymarine install with Lighthouse III and Axiom on my MFD's which have AIS transmission, I was considering adding a receiver. Stand alone Class B receivers are in the $600-800 range. The Raymarine Ray 70 VHF unit comes with AIS receiving, and is touted to work with Raymarine MFD's. The unit is spendy, $650-700, but would be more economical than buying a new ICOM or SHorizon AND a black box AIS receiver separately.

Does anyone have experience with this unit? Should I consider other options? Standard ICOM unit and other AIS receiver that would be less expensive? I really need to replace this radio for my shrimp trip on Saturday. Handheld works fine, but not how I want to go out if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,
Randy

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Standard Horizon GX2200 has DSC and AIS receiver. $310 at thegpsstore.
Put one on this year. Nice. Interfaced the NMEA0183 to my Garmin 4208. Shows AIS symbols, position, course, speed.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Went w the Ray70, arrived today, install tonight. Tomorrow, spot shrimp!

I spent the extra to have the Raymarine SeaTLk cable plug and play to my Axiom MFD, I know it’s not that tough to integrate NMEA 2000 into SeaTalk. But figured sticking w same may be easiest and I don’t want to second guess my wiring if there’s ever an issue, I’d like to know it’s the unit not something I did! Less variables for my shrinking brain.

Will report back later

R