Raymarine replacement sonar and chartplotter

cmware

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I have the original Raymarine L760 installed and it has gone buggy on me. While trolling at 2-3 knots it goes in and out sometimes works other times just flashes an incorrect depth for five minutes then sometimes resets itself. Only works on manual range setting. Does anyone know if that sounds more like transducer or the display unit? Can I upgrade to a bit newer display without having to replace the transducer or does any upgrade require a new transducer? Thinking I will start with a replacement unit of the same but wondering if I could upgrade a year or two?

Thank you for your help!

Chris

Attachments

• 7F05B3BE-A167-4E8C-BD47-346B231C24E0.JPG
    7F05B3BE-A167-4E8C-BD47-346B231C24E0.JPG
    577.6 KB · Views: 9

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I would suspect the transducer or its connection.

Transducer is 20 years old. Don't throw good money after bad. They don't last forever and they lose power and sensitivity over time.
If you upgrade to a new MFD get one bundled with a new transducer.

Everything has changed since those units were made. Sonars are CHIRP now. New MDFs can run Chart/sonar/radar...but not your old radar...

heheh time for a new dashbaord and a new 12" touchscreen MFD....

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
You didn't say what transducer you have. Is it a thru or a transom mount?
If the later, sometimes the angle of the transducer changes from either bumbling something or the swivel mount loosening. If you notice that the screen dat goes buggy at a certain hull angle , check the mount is transom.
You should also check for growth routinely as that can reduce the signal strength

Skunk is correct about the age. These things just wear out, cables get brittle, sealed units become less 'sealed'

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd say you got your money's worth from those units. 25 year old technology. I'd bit the bullet and move to newer equipment. As stated, best not to mix old and new. If you have issues, nobody will be able to completely assist you.

cmware

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Thank you all, yes she's a new boat to me and trying to avoid new electronics for a bit anyways. Thought if I could get the screen to work with the same or similar display model then I could get by for a bit. Still trying to figure out what transducer I have, it is a thru-hull. Cheers.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Most transducers were made by Airmar. There is usually a tag on them.

If you are putting off an electronics upgrade you should talk to local marine electronics installer and look on eBay. Make sure they will guarantee the unit to work and take it back if it doesn't. Old units should be fairly inexpensive. I wouldn't put much into old equipment. Newer electronics have so much more to offer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My guess would be the Airmar as well. I want to say it was a B250 with the same gear you have back in the day. I put the shoot thru 1KW in my boat back in 2007 with the E series Ray products. I'm probably due for an upgrade but the older system works ok for my use.

transfib

Reaction score
Fishtales, I have a Raymarine E80 MFD (E02010), a DSM300 (E63069) with a transom mounted transducer (E66054), Airmar P66 and a Seatalk HS Network Switch (E55058) I'm looking to get rid of for $250.00 if you're interested? With the Navionics Platium Plus CF Card for Lake Michigan.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks. My current electronics are the same (E120 and E80 side by side, DSM, Raydome and the shoot thru ducer).
Just hit me, that your probably offering it to the original poster cmware...

CM: I'd jump on transfib offer. Newer than your current but older than the latest Raymarine gear, it works very well. Might be a low cost solution for you.
transfib: Thanks for the offer! Hopefully he takes you up on it.

transfib

Reaction score
Thanks. My current electronics are the same (E120 and E80 side by side, DSM, Raydome and the shoot thru ducer).
Just hit me, that your probably offering it to the original poster cmware...

CM: I'd jump on transfib offer. Newer than your current but older than the latest Raymarine gear, it works very well. Might be a low cost solution for you.
transfib: Thanks for the offer! Hopefully he takes you up on it.
Sorry about that!
CM, the equipment looks brand new and was working great! Let me if you're interested, I'll post pictures.