? re 200 HPDI- help save family vacation asap

Kromke

Reaction score
I have a desperate question that needs an answer to save a family vacation. Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Grampsie and I bought a used 88 Grady with twin Yamaha 200 HPDI's, year 2000. I am in Buffalo to use it with my wife and kids and plan on how we will be getting the rig down to NC SOOOOOON. Test ran the boat three weeks ago and it ran great, wot 47 mph.

Get it to the house. Grampsie cleans, details and "tinkers" with three batteries to clean their terminals. We go out for sea trial yesterday and the throttle now goes forward when you pull it back, reverse when you push it forward. I wasn't there for the test run but Grampsie says it was normal when he drove it, "push forward throttle to go forward, pull back to reverse, that's it."

We have checked wiring, appears normal. Are we missing something that Grampsie tinkered with and didn't know it?
We have looked at manual, the throttle could be changed to pull/forward, but we haven't touched that at all. MIssing something here?
Could throttle gears be going bad - they were replaced with the repower in 2000'?
Is it computer related?
Do I shoot Grampsie?

1st summer vacation in two years...it was pouring rain/60 mph gusts in t-storm yesterday...somebody help me beat back this Buffalo bad luck.

Kromke

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's an easy one, the props need to be swapped.

Now how about a tough one ?

Kromke

Reaction score
Grampsie says he had them off one at a time but winked at me when I told him about the replies. We switched props asap and the problem appears cured to the eye. Second Sea trial at noon. Stay tuned and thanks a ton fellas.

Kromke

Kromke

Reaction score
The fish gods were smiling today, WOT with Grampsie and I was 47mph. With three more adults, two small kids and a big Chessie it was 42. I am able to breathe a big sigh of relief, boat ran great in everything from small chop behind the break wall to 3-5 footers on Lake Erie.

Thanks again to the two Bob's, and Great Grady, for saving a vacation and Grampsie's butt from the frying pan.

Kromke