Re-build or buy new?

adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a 200 hp. Yamaha 2 cyc. (1995) on my Grady Adventure 208. Engine froze up last month. Need to decide best course of action to buy new or have the power head rebuilt. Engine and boat have not been used much over the years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JeffN

Reaction score
Did you just acquire the boat or are you the one that did not use it much? If you have been the owner and not used the boat much are you planning of using it more? What kind of shape is the boat in and do you intend to keep it? More details on your boat plans and intended use would probably generate more replys. There is nothing like new but if you are going to rarely use the boat or don't intend to keep it a while do you really want to spend the money? If you are talking the occasional ride the rebuilt may work OK for less money.

adventure 208

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I acquired the boat Aug. 2010 from a trusted friend that said he used the boat approx. 6 to 10 days per year for the past 8 years. After each usage it was lifted and stored inside at a Grady/Yamaha dealer location on Hilton Head Is. This same dealer serviced the boat since it was new. It was purchased first by an elderly retired man who unfortunately passed away during the second year. The dealership then purchased it back from the owners wife and use it as a demo to sell other Gradys. The boat is beautiful and has many extras including fresh water, power trim, good electronics, re-done cushions, brand new trailer and the hull is spotless and only painted one time and looks new. I will retire next year and I hoped that this boat will help me chase fish for many years. The boat is now in South New Jersey and I used it almost every weekend from April until Nov. It will be winterized and stored from Nov. to April.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, you could put a new powerhead on, but next spring the rest of the engine will be 17 years old.

As long as the rest of the boat is in great shape, you'll be much happier with a new engine. You'll likely get better than a 50% increase in fuel economy.

Just be careful with weight distribution on the older hulls. 4 strokes are a lot heavier than your old 200 smoker. Grady can advise you on this. But you should be fine with a 200 hp etec or a 175 hp Suzuki.

adventure 208

Reaction score
Thanks Doc,

I was making some calls today and it looks like a rebuilt powerhead is 4000 to 5000, new anywhere from 13000 to 18000 (4 stroke). I did however find a 2004, Yamaha 200 hp. fuel inj. w/only 500 hrs. for $7500. Don't know if that is a good price or not?

JeffN

Reaction score
If you are liking the boat and it does appear that you are planning to use it a lot more than the previous
owner(s) I would say if possible go new or newer power. Nothing like new, with new power you have eliminted a lot of boat headaches. You are retiring so you probably don't want headaches either, you want to get in and go. I have no idea what constitutes a good deal on the 2004 motor you mentioned or not but I'm sure those that know will offer some advice. I repowered my boat in 2006 and could not be happier. if you like the boat and plan to keep it a while go new. I second what doc says about checking with Grady about weight differences. Enjoy the boat!

freddy063

Reaction score
Look into why the motor is locked up, last year my motor locked up. I decided to get a new power head and I stated to disassemble. I found that the shaft bushing seized that seized the motor. So 40 dollars later it was fixed. Maybe it’s a simpler trouble than you think.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they made both in 2004 or not, but is the used motor an OX-66 or an HPDI? Both are fuel injected, but the HPDI is direct-injected. Both are powerful, light (relative to four strokes anyway) and reliable. The HPDI is considerably better on gas and oil (no smoke at all). There are generally plenty of 200 HPDIs on the market since so many people switched to four strokes. I can't blame them for that (they're so quiet and smooth!), but the used HPDIs represent a great value in my opinion.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another recommendation to find a used 200 HPDI. There are plenty on the market...and everything will bolt right up.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you don't want to spend the money on a new motor, get a used HPDI. If you had twins then maybe go the powerhead route.

GulfSea

Reaction score
adventure 208 said:
Thanks for the response. I acquired the boat Aug. 2010 from a trusted friend that said he used the boat approx. 6 to 10 days per year for the past 8 years. After each usage it was lifted and stored inside at a Grady/Yamaha dealer location on Hilton Head Is. This same dealer serviced the boat since it was new. It was purchased first by an elderly retired man who unfortunately passed away during the second year. The dealership then purchased it back from the owners wife and use it as a demo to sell other Gradys. The boat is beautiful and has many extras including fresh water, power trim, good electronics, re-done cushions, brand new trailer and the hull is spotless and only painted one time and looks new. I will retire next year and I hoped that this boat will help me chase fish for many years. The boat is now in South New Jersey and I used it almost every weekend from April until Nov. It will be winterized and stored from Nov. to April.

It really depends on how much you like the boat and how much you'll use it. I've done upgrades on my boat that many would not; but they were justified because they were daily/weekly use things that make the boat much more enjoyable to operate. This is also the reason I bought a late model rig and have already planned to re-power new when the current motor is 10 years old. If you know 100% that this is the boat you want to keep long term and use it frequently, IMHO, a new outboard would be in line. If you're on the fence on either, I would probably rebuild what is there or buy a good, solid used motor.

One thing to note is there are quite a few really nice used motors out there today because of re-powers due to all the new engine technology advances of late.

DaleH

Reaction score
Don't go with a rebuilt powerhead, whether you buy it or do it yourself.

They just don't last ... waste of $$ IMHO, but what do I know, my family's only been running > 10 and up to 14 OBs each season for the last 20-30 years ...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If you can afford to go new you will also get all new guages and throttle connections. You can still upgrade all these anyway. My 2 cents after examining why the motor seized and you really need a different power plant, consider the hpdi route if new 4 banger is not in the budget. Good luck.

adventure 208

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have now decided, since I have the boat I want, that I will go with new. Will be attending the boat show in Atlantic City in Feb. to try to get the best deal I can direct from the Yamaha Reps. Maybe a extended warranty or discount on cost. Now the decision is 2 stroke or 4. I will be looking into the weight difference and if I need to drop down the horsepower to a 175 from 200. I will be giving up the oil tank and weight so maybe I can stay with a 200- 4 stroke. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I understand a 2 cyc. will just bolt up and I can use my controls. I purchased new gauges last fall and am wondering if I can use them with a 4 stroke. Any idea?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There isn't a Yami 175 so your choice is 150 2 stroke (can probably still find a new carb model), 200 HPDI, 150 4 stroke (4 cyl), 200-225 4 stroke (6 cyl). You may need adaptors for your current controls to use them on new motors but they're available through Yamaha.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it's a big-bore 4 cyl design like the new V6's that'll make things interresting, but if it's a V6 they shouldn't even bother building it.

BCLII

Reaction score
Didn't look like the new off shore models. More like a bump up from the 150

97208ct

Reaction score
I would have the motor checked out again and rebuild it if req'd. A good rebuild/remanufacture works and is much cheaper. Pays for lots of gas and maintenance that is required on newer motors. Difference in fuel useage on this size boat/motor is very small (tenths of a MPG). The old 2S SWSII carb'd motors are Yamaha's best and can run for a long time. Have many here in Eastern LISound. Can't say same for the newer ones from any manufacturer.
Check outboardexchange.com.

We have a '97 208 with a 175 SWSII. Great pkg.

adventure 208

Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply's. One suggestion that makes some sense to me is to go with a 150-4 stroke. The price new is less than a 200 HPDI (2 stroke) and the weight is about the same. The 150 performance on the same boat, recently re-powered was 4000 rpm-24 mph, 4400 rpm-28 mph and wide open, 5500 rpm- 38 mph. I've only had my boat up to 34 mph once and usually the water is not that flat.