Re: Factory Canvas Color?

83Trophy

Reaction score
Hey guys...just got back into the Grady world; purchased a 2007 Tournament 275 (non-hardtop) and am having a bow and mooring cover made.

Does anyone know what color the factory canvas is (Sunbrella); NAVY, CAPTAIN NAVY, or MARINE BLUE?

Thanks in advance...Bob

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First of all, welcome back and congrats on the new to you boat. Second, I'm assuming you mean either a 205 or a 225 Tournament and not a 275 Tournament? Finally, here's a brochure from 2007 that's available on the GW website, looks like it's Navy in color and don't think it's the Captain Navy, whatever that means. If you scroll down to page 55 you'll see a couple different pictures of the canvas options available for your boat, which it looks like there's a "vista style" of top and then a "Bimini style" of top as well, just depends on what you want to go with. Then, if you scroll down to pages 56 and 58 you'll see the available canvas options for your boat. Of which for some reason they don't say on the smaller boats what the available colors are, but when you get up to the bigger boats you'll see the canvas options available in either ivory or navy.

83Trophy

Reaction score
Hey Mustang- thanks for the quick response.

It is a 2007 Tournament 275 and is not listed in the brochure from that year. I know because I had looked it up and questioned it myself, but the story I was told by a local dealer was that it was a newer model for the year and did not make the brochure. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. But the title says 2007 and it was a recognized model for insurance purposes.

I attached the Sunbrella swatches and am leaning towards just plain Navy...but my canvas guy said he thought the factory used Marine Blue. So now I'm a bit un-decided.

I'll start a separate thread on the actual boat purchase and details...

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpg
    View recent photos.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 8

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you want to know the exact color of the OEM canvas call AJ Canvas in Vanceboro NC and ask Lee. She has information on the exact color Sunbrella they put on them. I needed to match my 2007 beige color and she told me which Sunbrella they used. Mine I believe was silver but she’ll know what the navy colors are as well. They have records!

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recommend reaching out to A&J as well. Lee should be able to help you. OEM supplier to Grady-White.

83Trophy

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys...Lee said that the Sunbrella material was originally called Grady White Blue...but on the current color charts it is just plain Navy.

Problem solved!

Reactions: Ky Grady

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

It is a 2007 Tournament 275 and is not listed in the brochure from that year. I know because I had looked it up and questioned it myself, but the story I was told by a local dealer was that it was a newer model for the year and did not make the brochure. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. But the title says 2007 and it was a recognized model for insurance purposes.

I attached the Sunbrella swatches and am leaning towards just plain Navy...but my canvas guy said he thought the factory used Marine Blue. So now I'm a bit un-decided.

Crazy... I didn't realize that they made a 275 Tournament, though I'm admittedly not a DC boat guy. Kind of odd that they didn't come out with the model before releasing the brochure for the year. Oh well, I'd honestly just go with whatever one you like the best, unless for some reason you are trying to keep it as original as possible. Though if you look at page 61 of the 2008 model year brochure for GW boats, you'll see under "canvas options" that they used either navy or ivory for the colors. Good luck!

Reactions: Smoothsailing

83Trophy

Reaction score
There is a factory Bimini top that is in Ivory along with a canvas door to close off the bow section in the same color.

I'll stick with Navy for the covers.

And I'll address the reason for buying a DC in another post.

Thanks Mustang!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a factory Bimini top that is in Ivory along with a canvas door to close off the bow section in the same color.

I'll stick with Navy for the covers.

And I'll address the reason for buying a DC in another post.

Thanks Mustang!
You're welcome! I'm glad that I could offer some insight or at least point you in the right direction. And with regards to the reason you bought a DC... if the shoe fits right? As long as it works for you and your intended boating/fishing needs, then you shouldn't need any reason(s) other than that. I personally am not a huge fan of the DC's because I fish in the Seattle area where the water is generally always quite cold and don't really want the spray potentially coming over the bow. Also, I have downriggers and other fishing gear that I leave on the boat, so it's nice having a cabin that I can lock all of my gear up in. Obviously a pair of bolt/lock cutters would be all that's needed to break in, but we are in a pretty quiet area where we are. Finally, I like the idea of being able to overnight if you really wanted to. Sure, it would likely be pretty cramped and I'd have to move a few things around or take a few things out to be able to sleep in there, but it's still possible. I think the walkaround style of boats are about the most versatile out there in the you can crab, fish, cruise, take the boat to SeaFair, a football game and sailgate in it or do just about anything with the boat. That was probably the biggest deciding factor right there in going with a 228 Seafarer, as well as having the enclosed transom as well as the transom bracket. I realize that I'm likely one of the minority of people here that still use a walkaround style of boat and most companies are getting rid of them, while coming out with more CC/DC styles of boats. But again, if you like your boat and you bought it, then it must be for a reason and it checked off all of the boxes on your list of needs. Either way, good luck out there and congrats on the new to you boat!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your boat will stay cooler if you go with a lighter color, like the ivory, which may prolong the life of your upholstery, and other interior items. Probably won’t make as much of a difference in LI as it would in Florida.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd think that the darker colors like the navy would likely better contrast with essentially a white/beige boat, compared to the ivory. On top of that, I think that the ivory would show every speck of dirt and imperfection imaginable compared to the navy, which I'm thinking would cover it up a bit better. Just my opinion of course...

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Great Lakes Boat Top was likely the OEM canvas supplier for your boat. They were for my 2011 Freedom. Call them and see if they still have the patterns. New panels can be had a lot cheaper than going with a custom canvas company. As far as your color question, I believe they used navy sunbrella.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a number of earlier panels fro my 1998 Islander. It's Sunbrella Navy. The fabric wears extremely well. My tonneau cover is 25 years old and could pass for new.

Most enclosure fabricators have gone to Stamoid which I don't really like. It gets dirty fast and doesn't wear that well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd price the enclosure with A&J. They were offering Strataglass and Eisenglass (cheaper) a couple of years ago. Their pricing is very competitive.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Not sure if it was standard or not, but there is a 275 on my dock that has the off white stamoid enclosure for the bow and helm area. Looks good to me but I'm partial to the off white or ivory especially in the newer larger gradys. I think it is a cleaner look. I also much prefer the stamoid to the sunbrella. Blood and bait stains hose right off.

83Trophy

Reaction score
Finished result...Rick from Ocean Canvas in Brookhaven did a great job. The pics were taken after initial install- he has since tightened up two snaps.

Navy Blue was the color choice

Attachments

• IMG_5984.jpg
    IMG_5984.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6007.jpg
    IMG_6007.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6008.jpg
    IMG_6008.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

seasick

Reaction score

Easy to tell model year; the last two digits of your hull identification number (HIN) stamped on the transom usually is the model year