Re-glue a piece of cockpit trim?

Gary M

Reaction score
Under the cockpit bolsters. a long piece of white vinyl trim has come unglued. What do you guys Rec to re-glue it back up there?

dale1

Reaction score
Gary, I use 3m products. cost more, but seem to work well. you can get 3m vinyl/trim glue at most advance auto stores. also, home depot sales a variety of vinyl/plastic glues that will work. just look at the label to find what is used for clean up. acetone is the most common cleaner. be very careful with isopropyl alcohol. It will often cause damage to plastic surfaces. Dale

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dale, did you mix up "acetone" and "alcohol" in your post? Acetone will eat most plastics. Although, often times, if you use it sparingly (and quickly) it will be fine. Windex is another alternative. Really, any cleaner you want to use is fine - if it's one that leaves a slight film, just be sure to come back and wipe it off.

Just offering another type of product to use to re-glue (this is a U-shaped piece of trim?)... an adhesive caulk. NOT 5200 - that's too aggressive. But BoatLife LifeCalk or 3M4200. Actually, any adhesive caulk that you can find will be fine. Heck, even plain old silicone will work - doesn't even have to be labelled as "adhesive". Just don't go too crazy with the caulk and be sure to tape off both the boat and the trim so any that squeezes out is easier to clean up.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem a year or two back and used a vinyl adhesive that I purchased at Lowes. This worked well and is still holding tight.

dale1

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Dale, did you mix up "acetone" and "alcohol" in your post? Acetone will eat most plastics. Although, often times, if you use it sparingly (and quickly) it will be fine. Windex is another alternative. Really, any cleaner you want to use is fine - if it's one that leaves a slight film, just be sure to come back and wipe it off.

Just offering another type of product to use to re-glue (this is a U-shaped piece of trim?)... an adhesive caulk. NOT 5200 - that's too aggressive. But BoatLife LifeCalk or 3M4200. Actually, any adhesive caulk that you can find will be fine. Heck, even plain old silicone will work - doesn't even have to be labelled as "adhesive". Just don't go too crazy with the caulk and be sure to tape off both the boat and the trim so any that squeezes out is easier to clean up.

Dennis/Gary. I certainly did:) I would try any type of chemical like those for compatibility in an inconspicuous area also, before messing something up!! Dale