Re-Power 1994 Tournament 192 w/ RH rotating Yamaha

grady192

Reaction score
I need to repower and have tracked down a lightly used 2002 Yamaha Saltwater Series II 200 hp engine. I have read that having a right hand rotating engine can cause the boat to list to starboard while under power as boats are designed to offset the propeller torque from standard rotating engines.

Should I be concerned???

gw204

Reaction score
A right hand rotating engine is considered to be "standard" rotation. Prop spins clockwise. A counter is simply that, counter clockwise rotation, or left hand. Is that the motor you're talking about?

Either way, it shouldn't make a big difference. Lots of people run single left hand motors. My Dad has a left hand F225 on a 22' SeaHunt and hasn't commented that it performs any different than a right hand powered boat. If it lists while on plane, correct that list with a little tab. You prop selection might be a bit smaller and people may ask more questions when it comes time to sell, but other than that, I see no negatives.

grady192

Reaction score
Got a little mixed up there, I did mean left hand rotation, yes. I actually don't have trim tabs on the boat so if there is a list there isn't going to be anything I can do about it other than shift ballast.

My concern was that its a fairly small and light boat so the affect might be more pronounced. With no tabs to correct it, am I getting myself into a bad situation ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, he can only use a stainless prop I believe non ar eavailabe in alum, that' the only drawback, besides a replacement lower unit is likely to be RH, so add prop cost to a replacement lower unit.

Ironically, LH motors sell new for a premium but take a bigger hit on resale for singles. People think the motor turns the other way and are scared off.

If I had a single boat and was offered a LH motor, new or used, only at a discount from a RH.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It will NOT cause a list, but you will get a pull to one side since the thrust is not directly comming straight off the propeller, you can adjust the zinc tab behind the prop slightly offset to help this. Only on big hp engines will you feel a very slight pull coming on plane to one side, but underway it will not effect it. If your worried, buy lenco electric tabs, they are reasonably priced and will improve the ride of your boat a bit and take care of any concerns with a list you might have, would be a great add on regardless, something I would recommend all boats have if going in the ocean or in a bay where a chop is present.