re power new yamaha

jmphoto

Reaction score
What is the collective think on re-powering with these new 4 strokes are they so hi powered in a little package that they go boom at 3 yr + 1 day or is this the new reliable package we are looking for .

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Before investing in power for my new Gulfstream, I asked the service guys..they said the 4-strokes rarely come back for service, but the 2-strokes are more prone to problems.
I can't speak in terms of longevity, as my 200 4-strokes only have 180-odd hrs. on them. "0" problems so far..excellent engines, but many on here have over 1000 trouble-free hours on theirs.
There will always be a 4-stroke VS. 2-stroke debate, just like Merc VS.Yamaha, but the general concensus here is that they are very reliable.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wait..
I might have mis--read your post..If your talking about brand-new 4's (the 350's or new 300's) I can't say how reliable they are..

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm no expert, but these 4.2L engines shouldn't be at the top of their range. they're naturally aspirated so the hp isn't being squeezed out. hopefully they are going to be great engines. ron