re-power

Norman1

Reaction score
hey folks, my first time here and looking for help! I have a "94" explorer (24') I bought the boat last year and just finished going through it and now I need to repower. the 1994 225 ocean pro (evinrude) that came with the boat is in bad shape. I have been looking at everything from Honda to another e-tec. I realy want to make the right choice! I started looking at a 225 honda because that is what my friend has on his 24' pursuit, then I started talking to the local Yamaha dealer and he almost had me talked into their 250, most recently I was a local boat show and started talking to the Evinrude guy and now I am intrested in the E-tec 250 HO.
Anyone want to help out the new guy?

white diamond

Reaction score
I have a '92 Exploerer 246G with a 2004 Suzuki DF250. The only reason I don't have the DF300 is because it was not available when I needed to repower. The Suzuki has been such a great motor that I would not consider replacing it with anything else. The 250 does a geat job but I think the 300 would yeld an even better cruise milage and only weighs about 15 pounds more.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Read up on the Yamaha F250 and I think you'll like the reviews. I have the F250TXR and could not ask for better performance. From what I've read, most engines today are very reliable so you've got plenty to choose from.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Norm,

A guy repowered his 24 Explorer with a 250 etec 2 years ago. He has been pretty happy with it but has had to replace 2 injectors, which was somewhat of a big deal..it was covered but they had to yank his boat and haul it to the dealer...aside from that, he has no complaints. My neighbors are running Suzuki's and 1 guy has about 2000 hours on his with no major issues and the other neighbor has about 600 on his that are 6 years old and they have not had 1 hicckup....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 225 honda may not have enough power but aside from that it's mostly about how you feel about the dealership. Zukes are decent motors but there aren't that many dealers around, ETEC's are OK if you're OK with 2 stokes, Verados have had problems and may or may not have been fixed but the Opti's are good motors, stay away from anything over 200 HP 2 stroke (or the V8 300 HP) in Yami but the 4 strokes are fine.

Check the transom before you lay out the money for a motor.