Re Power

Grady2219

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I m new to the Grady world and need advice from the more experienced. I have a 22ft seafarer that has the old envinrude 200 ocean pro on a bracket. Runs good no problem but, I'm wanting to upgrade for my sanity. I have been looking at motors and am leaning towards a suzuki and I don't know what size to go with. I have looked at a 200, 225, and 250. I have price mechanical controls and electronic. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What year? Does it have a capacity plate around the helm area? Should have a max HP rating on it.

250 would be my first choice, followed by 225. I feel the 200 would be underpowered with a full load.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The electronic 250 would be my first choice. That's a detuned 300. One part away from 50 more ponies. ;)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If the hull is old enough to have come with an Ocean Pro, would the transom be compromised with a heavier 4 stroke engine? That's been a concern when folks repower an older twin engine Grady.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would go with the 250 electronic. However, definitely check what your boat is rated for and how it sits in the water.

Also, shop around as I thought the Suzuki’s were heavier in relation to Mercury Four and Yamaha. Price might be right but I would be nervous about how much it would weigh it down.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Zukes are much heavier and they have offset driveshaft . I know they are cheaper but I wouldn't consider them mainly due to weight.
I would go for a V8 4.6 LT Merc 250 hp ( that would be the max for your boat I would think) , second choice Yamaha 4.2 lt V6 250 hp . You can get both with DTS , have it on mine and never go back to cable.
225 hp is fine for your boat if you don't have hardtop. Merc 225 is a V6 3.4 lt and Yamaha is same as the 250. If you are looking at 225 hp , Mercury is the lightest , about 500 lbs for 25".

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If the hull is old enough to have come with an Ocean Pro, would the transom be compromised with a heavier 4 stroke engine? That's been a concern when folks repower an older twin engine Grady.

If the boat had a single 2smoke I wouldn't worry about using a single 4stroke. The issue is the single pod bracket. It doesn't displaced the force across the entire transom.

Reactions: magicalbill

UCPA111

Reaction score
I would check your transom and also consider weight. I redid mine and had a custom bracket built to offset the weight of newer motors. My 1984 Seafarer is equipped now with a 300 Verado ( I repowered in 2018 with new). If you want some ideas....checkout my youtube page.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb
I love the digital throttle and shift and vessel view.
I wish you luck and hope you share your story and the results. Happy to answer any questions...

Grady2219

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was researching today and the ocean pro 200 weighs around 460 lbs. A new yamaha 200 weighs 487. Only concern is what was stated earlier, under a loaded boat how would the 200 perform.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
200 hp is fine for a pre-SV2 hull seafarer. I used to take dive trips with 4 people, 8 tanks, and full gear with my old seafarer that had a 200 hp Merc on the back. It had plenty of power to handle that load.

The older hull design is very different from the newer boats. It has much less wetted area when on plane. Many were sold with 175 hp and I was in one in Canada that had a 150. Unless you are on a lake and like to run fast, you won't benefit from a lot of hp on that hull. Weight and balance should be your primary consideration since that hull doesn't respond well to trim tabs the way the newer ones do.

Ask leeccoll. He runs a 200 hp Honda on his older seafarer along with a kicker.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 4 cylinder F200 is the way to go here. Weight about the same.

Three

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I put a new Suzuki 250 on my boat 98 Voyager. Its a 2019 and they didn't have a long shaft 225 at the time. I didnt go for the all electronic mainly because it was $4000 more. The only thing I would do different is put an hour meter in when The engine goes in. You will be very happy with the fuel economy !

Grady2219

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is a 1995 seafarer which I think is the SV2 hull. I stay in the Pamlico River in NC cruising around and trolling for Mackeral. No need for speed really and I may go out in the ocean once a year. So im gathering the 200 will push boat fine some concern when loaded. The 250 will start being a weight issue. Except yamaha I think 225 thru 300 weighs the same. I imagine I'm going to end up with a 225 of some sort.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You will want at least a 225 hp 4-stroke for that hull. It's actually torque rather than hp that is important both for bringing the boat on plane and maintaining a good planning attitude with a load. Your old 2-stroke 175 produces significantly more torque than an in-line 4 cylinder 4-stroke 200. You really want a 6 cylinder 4-stroke. There is very little difference between a 225, 250, and 300 hp 4.2 liter Yamaha except for top speed. Mid range torque is essentially the same.

Weight will be an issue because they hadn't moved the tanks and center of balance forward yet to account for heavier 4-stroke engines.