Re Power

Exocet

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I repowered my 232 with twin Suzuki 200's last year (upgrade from twin Yamaha 150's). I have been super happy with the Suzuki's so far. My controls were changed out to fly by wire from the previous cable actuated. For me the fly by wire is way better. I highly recommend Suzuki but completely agree with poster suggesting you need to have a good dealer to do the install. Once you get them installed it's likely you will need to move them up or down to get them dialed in. Good luck with your repower!

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking to re power a 1990 Overnighter. Big price difference between yamaha and suzuki. Anyone ever re power with a suzuki engine?
I personally think I would go Yamaha I have a 1990 seafarer 228g with a 2003 Yamaha 4 stroke 200 they seem to be worth the bigger price I’ve rode on boats that have has outboards from Johnson’s to yamahas and yamahas are my fave in my opinion

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A guy in my marina ordered a new 34 foot Pursuit in September and he can't pick it up until May 2021. Boats and repowers are hot right now.

Carl

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Actually I think it’s 230 max, at least that’s what my ‘87 Overnighter is rated at.
Don’t know where your located but my back up plan if my 2 stroke Suzuki DT225 dies is to contact Rudi’s in Delaware. I’m sure the cost has gone up but they ran specials throwing in the rigging on a repower to a 4 stroke 4 cylinder Yamaha F200 with a 19 pitch prop.
It’s a much lighter engine than the 6 cylinder versions and is much closer to the weight of the engines built in the late ‘80’s and that’s an important point. The engines built in that time weighed in at around 380lb.s. The F200 is light by today’s standards but it still 485lbs. 6 Cylinder engines are close to 600lb.s and not what Grady had in mind when they designed this boat. My DT225 weighs 470 lb.s and the stern floats low because of it. 15 more lb.s ok, but another 100 I’m not so sure that’d be to good.
;) yes I’ve researched it to death and settled on that being the best setup to get for the older Overnighters.
Rudi’s Marine cost 4 years back was about $15,000. The tax rate in Delaware is supposed to be an advantage too.
If you look back in the posts for those that have gone this route they are very happy.
Top speed with this engine on an Overnighter is 43mph + — and that’s very respectable.
I have a DT225 on my 24 offshore with a bracket and a mercury 9.9 kicker on its own bracket. At rest with about 50 gal of fuel my stern scuppers are just touching the water and thats on the kicker side . I love my DT 225 but they have a bad reputation so I might also be looking at repowering in the near future . I have had my offshore up to 42mph but like to cruise at 4200 RPM at about 35mph. Kinda wondering why you are sitting so low in the water.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a DT225 on my 24 offshore with a bracket and a mercury 9.9 kicker on its own bracket. At rest with about 50 gal of fuel my stern scuppers are just touching the water and thats on the kicker side . I love my DT 225 but they have a bad reputation so I might also be looking at repowering in the near future . I have had my offshore up to 42mph but like to cruise at 4200 RPM at about 35mph. Kinda wondering why you are sitting so low in the water.
Probably because it’s big engine on a 20’ boat. The DT225 is 470lb.s which is probably 120lb.s heavier than the OB’s of the era my boat built. A 6 cylinder 4 stroke would be close to 600lb.s.
The thing with the DT engines is that the cylinder walls are a chrome molybdenum that heats up at a different rate than the pistons. One sure fire way to kill one is to fire it over and then put it to WOT right away. It’ll burn a piston doing that. You’ve got to be patient and let them warm up.
The other thing is the connecting rods are pressed onto the crankshaft so the crankshaft cannot be turned. You’d have to install a new assembly which is no longer available from the factory.
So when these motor fail that’s it, they aren’t rebuildable.
I have my first 225 that did throw a rod on a stand in my garage as a parts source, lower unit, electronics, etc... but if the motor I’m running now blows I’ll switch to the Yamaha.

Reactions: Divajean

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
1990 boat ? Id probably repower with a well maintained used engine.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
1990 boat ? Id probably repower with a well maintained used engine.
I used to feel that way and mounted a “good used OB” I found on Craigslist a few years back and am still running it.
Turned 60 this year and though I’ve built engines and repaired many making them reliable I’m kinda tired of the tinkering. No need to prove I can do it, just don’t want to anymore. Next motor I buy will be new and probably overpriced. Don’t care now just want to be able to run it and enjoy it without issue for a half dozen years or more. ;)

Reactions: SkunkBoat

seasick

Reaction score
I used to feel that way and mounted a “good used OB” I found on Craigslist a few years back and am still running it.
Turned 60 this year and though I’ve built engines and repaired many making them reliable I’m kinda tired of the tinkering. No need to prove I can do it, just don’t want to anymore. Next motor I buy will be new and probably overpriced. Don’t care now just want to be able to run it and enjoy it without issue for a half dozen years or more. ;)
I feel that way about my 'next boat' but that is an expensive position to hold:)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I feel that way about my 'next boat' but that is an expensive position to hold:)
Ya well that’s were I start reasoning that with all the work I have in it... :rolleyes:
Though I’m good now I didn’t come from money so I’ve still got a tough time spending it.
If I’ve got to part with $15-16k for a new OB I’m good with that though.