Re-powering 1996 Sailfish 272

grady95035

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered but I am getting conflicting recommendations with power options for re-powering my 272.

Currently, I have a pair of Yamaha SWS 200s with close to 4,000 hours. They have served me well. They are well maintained and I have only used Yamalube and Ring Free for the entire life of the motors. My port motor has started fouling a plug which appears to be related to water contamination. I have decided to re-power and passed on a pair of used pristine 2002 OX66 250s that are showroom condition with 834 hours with all controls, binnacle and props for $10,000. Starting to second guess that decision.

I plan to move to 4 strokes and like the new F200F 4 cylinder 4 strokes. I am getting mixed recommendations with some suggesting this is a lateral move given identical horsepower and near identical weight. Others claim the 4 cylinders will not offer the torque necessary to push big seas common in the Pacific Ocean off north central California where I do the majority of my fishing. Upgrading to 225 V-6 Offshore Yamahas will cost a bundle, around 50K, weighing more, requiring plugging/re-drilling the transom and requiring an additional investment to upgrade to digital controls.

My question is whether any of you have re-powered SWS 200s with F200Fs. I know the 2 strokes have a different torque curve but not convinced the the 2 strokes offer more torque. In fact, with variable cam timing, I would think the 4 stroke 4 cylinder F200F would provide more torque. More cylinders doesn't necessarily mean more torque. I guess you could make an argument regarding displacement as it relates to torque.

Thanks!

Don

Biscayne208

Reaction score
By buddy is running the same boat I have minus the hardtop and he is running a 200 ox66 and I am running the new I4 200. We run the exact same speed and have the same holeshot, and I have bottom paint and hardtop. The new 200 is a very strong motor. You will not be dissapointed. Oh and your fuel efficiency WILL increase by 50%.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Don - I've got your hull with a pair of E-TEC 200HOs and couldn't be happier.

Cheers,
-Scott

GW96

Reaction score
I've got the same hull, same year with a pair of '04 Evinrude DI 200's and it beats my friends '05 282 with twin Yami F225's. Better hole shot and higher top speed.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have the same boat, but I went with twin Yamaha HPDI 200 hp motors. I also beat the 282's with the 225 hp motors and I was able to reuse all of my controls and gauges. That alone saved me $2500.00 for the switch out. I love this combination. I have cut my oil usage in half and picked up .4 mpg at cruise. I don't care about hole shots, but I come up to plane in about 4 to 5 seconds. The Grady 272 is built to strong and heavy to play the hole shot game.