re: tuna tower

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Towe

You may want to call GW direct and ask them. I do have some experience on a small boat with tower. My brother in law had a tower installed on a 26 Sea Ox years ago and it just ruined the boat. It threw off the center of gravity, it rolled in any sea over 3 foot on a drift. The pounding constantly cracked the welds. That could be because it was a Sea Ox but I don't know, I would take a chance. The 272 is a geat boat, I had a 1996 for 6 seasons.

Good luck

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You won't be able to stand on the existing hardtop roof, the frame below wil have to be reinforced, unless you start from scratch.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First, you will not be able to use the existing hardtop or pipework, it was not ment to support that weight, nor is angled correctly or ever intended for this use. As far as adding a tower, it can be done, but honestly it will make that boat rock a lot more. A 27ft boat with a tower is pushing it, the only boats that can pull it off are inboards or I/O's with jack shafts where the engines are located close to the center of gravity, here, adding a tower will have less effect on changing that since the bulk of the weight is located here already. You will see a drop in speed and economy as well. Honestly, no walkaround has the room for tower that will be very functional. I'd also be concerened with where you would mount the tower, I have a feeling structurally you might need to beef up those areas, or atleast make sure they are located over structural bulkheads, not just any bulkheads. Honestly, I'd buy a bigger boat or different boat if a tower is a must, or try to live without one. About the only 28ft boats that do OK with tower's are Carolina Classic's, albemarle's, and Henriques's, but they are much heavier and none have outboards. I've been on a few under 30 ft walkarounds with tower's, and just about ever one rode horribly.

jehines3

Reaction score
These are back from when I bought the boat but you get the idea of what you you will be getting into if you do it.

1990GradyWhiteMarlin28002.jpg

PortSideStern.jpg

tiderunner

Reaction score
I like mine. But I have never run the boat without it

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jehines3 said:
These are back from when I bought the boat but you get the idea of what you you will be getting into if you do it.

1990GradyWhiteMarlin28002.jpg

PortSideStern.jpg

John,
Whats that thing worth? You got full controls?

jehines3

Reaction score
I'm thinking in the $400-$500 dollar range. No controls. There is a control console box, with a compass. I'd ditch the control box all togeher as it makes the entire thing heavy. I think it would be awesome without the excess weight.

I'll take better pics soon, once I am done with getting the boat sale complete and then I will be selling the tower and maybe one or two other things I no longer need going to a smaller CC. I'll post it in the for sale section soon. jh

Tail Chaser

Reaction score
tower

thanks for all the input guy's. Weight and movement on the water are very Important. This is mostly for finding patty's and Tuna. Maybe a small standing station with controls would work. We have talked to Pacific about towers they just look Heavy.
Thanks