Reading lights 330 Express

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There was a thread about a year ago where someone had replaced the reading lights in their 330 Express with LED lights. At the time, I made a note of the LED replacements. I found the lights at defender, and went to swap out the existing ones, but I can't access the wiring connections. These lights are mounted on a piece of teak in the cabin on the wall of the head. I don't see an obvious way (screws) to remove this piece of wood to access the wiring. There is nothing in the head that looks promising either.

My google foo is apparently on summer hiatus, as I cannot find the previous thread to ask the question directly to the poster, who indicated it was a straight swap. The thread was something about replacing halogen lights on a 330 and was from 2019.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On my 330 all I had to do was remove the old halogen bulbs and replace them with the proper LED base type. I had no need to access any wires.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On my 330 all I had to do was remove the old halogen bulbs and replace them with the proper LED base type. I had no need to access any wires.

Certainly an option. That was the approach I've taken with all the other interior lights, so far.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Just replaced all the interior light in our 305 Express with led bulbs. No heat coming off the fixtures now and i like the light the bulbs put out. These are the ones i got, they were a tad long but the still fit.

Reactions: kirk a

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Frosted Glass Shade Cabin & Reading Light
#41365 LED Frosted Glass Shade Cabin & Reading Light
I used this light, its made by Scandvik, mine were pitted so I changed the whole thing. After you remove the lights there were mounting screws for the piece of teak, I cant remember if the screws go right thru or come in from the head, anyway it wasn't that difficult, also replaced the one in the aft cabin.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I used the Scandvik Lights for readers. I have replaced every single light on the boat with LED’s

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I used the Scandvik Lights for readers. I have replaced every single light on the boat with LED’s

Your's was the thread I could not find via Google!!!!

How is that wooden panel attached? Are there in fact, screws under the lamp bases?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I did not remove the piece of wood. I just removed the old lights and put the new ones in the same place.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I did not remove the piece of wood. I just removed the old lights and put the new ones in the same place.

OK. On mine, I detatched the top light, and there were a pair of wires going back into a hole. Both wires were TINY (think NMEA sized). I was reluctant to cut and splice them due to their small size. Is that what you ran into? There was no scope in that wire to allow me to pull it further out of the hole and get to the existing splice.

Smallest wires I've seen on the boat so far.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, the tiny wires go into the wood, once you take the wood off it’s straight forward, you will see the connection to a larger wire.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes I used those wires. You dont need heavy gauge wire with LED. I just worked carefully and managed.