Real Repower Cost, Twin 250's

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I looked at a 2002 Marlin over the weekend that needs to be repowered. At the boat show I spoke with one marina and they seemed confident they could rig new Suzuki twin 250's with digital controls for around $45k. I called a larger dealer today and they quoted $56k for the same thing and have a pair coming in in 2 weeks unclaimed. I was not expecting such a large swing in price. What is a realistic recent repower cost for twin 250's, Yamaha or Suzuki?

Thanks

Andrew

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Paid $48K out the door for two Yamaha F300s mechanical last Sept. Already had controls!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
For comparison, in 2020 I got pair of White zuke DF200AP digital, they had to make a new starboard dash panel, used the existing steering. $40k for the pair incl NJ tax, a 15 mile haul from my driveway, launched when ready.I got to test drive props and get the boat to work the way I wanted.
dealer was on the water near my marina. That was important to me.
Motors were $30k incl controls/gauges/cables/props and labor was $7k. Motors listed for $21K each at the time..plus controls

Had better prices from far flung dealers that would require long hauls and make it a haul to get the 20 hr service done. their prices didn't account for that.

I would expect DF250APs to be at least $50k installed.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Give International Marine a call. I paid $20k out the door and rigged for a zuke300. At the time they were $3k-$5k cheaper than my local dealers. I'm sure the grandpa Joe tax brings those closer to $25k now.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
$45k for digital 250's looks optimistic considering the times. Even the high volume Florida dealers quoted me $44k for digital 200 i4's 2 months ago.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
$45k for digital 250's looks optimistic considering the times. Even the high volume Florida dealers quoted me $44k for digital 200 i4's 2 months ago.
I was not sure what to expect and went to the boat show to ask around and that was what one small Suzuki dealer said. He actually recommended calling a larger dealership figuring they could beat his price and was closer to me, $11k more was a little bit of a shock

Not close to me but Sandpiper Marine is advertising 45,500 for twin 250's with digital controls rigged.

I have never been in the market for new motors before, is there haggling like on a car typically? I have not placed an offer on the Marlin I looked at yet, I need to do some soul searching on the numbers.

MA208

Reaction score
Are the motors on there completely shot? Might be able to run it for a while until the market cools.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was not sure what to expect and went to the boat show to ask around and that was what one small Suzuki dealer said. He actually recommended calling a larger dealership figuring they could beat his price and was closer to me, $11k more was a little bit of a shock

Not close to me but Sandpiper Marine is advertising 45,500 for twin 250's with digital controls rigged.

I have never been in the market for new motors before, is there haggling like on a car typically? I have not placed an offer on the Marlin I looked at yet, I need to do some soul searching on the numbers.
Yes, normally one can negotiate, but when supply is so low, you have little leverage.
I've seen a number of dealers advertising good numbers. I think most are phishing for future customers because when I call them they have nothing to offer.
Another option to look into are Hondas. You can now get them with digital controls, white or silver. Word is the selling price includes all controls and is significantly less than most others. If you don't want digital Tohatsu's are mechanical Hondas. Some on THT have claimed to get twins for less than $35k rigged.
Another thought is used. There are a lot of used v6's out there. Even if you had to put a couple thousand into them, you'd be further ahead than buying new - unless you plan to run a lot of hours.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Yes, normally one can negotiate, but when supply is so low, you have little leverage.
I've seen a number of dealers advertising good numbers. I think most are phishing for future customers because when I call them they have nothing to offer.
Another option to look into are Hondas. You can now get them with digital controls, white or silver. Word is the selling price includes all controls and is significantly less than most others. If you don't want digital Tohatsu's are mechanical Hondas. Some on THT have claimed to get twins for less than $35k rigged.
Another thought is used. There are a lot of used v6's out there. Even if you had to put a couple thousand into them, you'd be further ahead than buying new - unless you plan to run a lot of hours.
We just wanted new for the sake of having trouble free motors, hopefully. Not opposed to used for the right price. We are looking at early 2000's Marlins to repower new, anything newer than 2004 seems to get steep in price and still have 15 year old outboards with 1000 hours, I would rather say in a 2000-2003 and go the new motor route. Boat I looked at is at that price point, almost. Has 1700 hours on F225's with new midsections 2 years ago but now has 2 cylinders low compression (80psi), a decarb might fix but its a gamble, the way it is would get me out in the bay for this season even if new motors took until the fall to get.

I have an offer on my Islander now, almost getting cold feet selling it though, if this buyer does not work out I'm just keeping it for the season.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I always like to shop around as well since the prices for just about anything out here in the Seattle area are just stupid expensive. Here's an MSRP list for Yamaha motors, says it's effective as of July 2021 and it hasn't been replaced yet by an updated version. If/when I go to re-power at this point it'll be with Suzuki as they're cheaper and have a standard 5 year warranty vs Yamaha which only has a standard 3 year warranty. I'm sure you can buy an extended warranty from them but that doesn't sound very enticing after already spending more on one of their outboards.

seasick

Reaction score
All I can say is to get the quote in writing and in detail. You don't want to be surprised during the repower. Also make sure you know in writing, who gets the old parts, motors, rigging and instrumentation.
We just wanted new for the sake of having trouble free motors, hopefully. Not opposed to used for the right price. We are looking at early 2000's Marlins to repower new, anything newer than 2004 seems to get steep in price and still have 15 year old outboards with 1000 hours, I would rather say in a 2000-2003 and go the new motor route. Boat I looked at is at that price point, almost. Has 1700 hours on F225's with new midsections 2 years ago but now has 2 cylinders low compression (80psi), a decarb might fix but its a gamble, the way it is would get me out in the bay for this season even if new motors took until the fall to get.

I have an offer on my Islander now, almost getting cold feet selling it though, if this buyer does not work out I'm just keeping it for the season.
Two low cylinders on one motor or one on each motor?
If on one motor, which cylinders are low?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
All I can say is to get the quote in writing and in detail. You don't want to be surprised during the repower. Also make sure you know in writing, who gets the old parts, motors, rigging and instrumentation.

Two low cylinders on one motor or one on each motor?
If on one motor, which cylinders are low?
I agree to have everything in writing. I got one quote today, 21,400 for each Suzuki 250, labor, controls, tax brought it for $54K.

Low compression on 2 bottom cylinder same enigne. I spoke with the sellers mechanic and he was thinking carbon on valves, they still had 80psi. Motors have over 1700hrs on them. Was not in love with the boat for no reason in particular. If my Islander sells this weekend I might make a low offer with the cost of the repower in mind, but still sleeping on it, but I think the current owner might just keep it over dropping too much.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It’s crazy, I got a quote just less than a year ago for a pair of Suzuki 250 fly by wire for $34k fully rigged and installed.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It’s crazy, I got a quote just less than a year ago for a pair of Suzuki 250 fly by wire for $34k fully rigged and installed.
It is nuts out there!! Look at the auto market if you want a laugh. My 2013 Tundra seems like it didn't depreciate--lol My son wants a full size truck and has around 10k to spend. Not bad for a high school senior but it won't buy much. Everything has 200k miles in his range.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
12/2020 - Twin Suzuki 200ap's $29,500. The same now are +$15k if you can find them.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you do, sounds like you don't, like the boat I'd run the current motors. I have 2K hours on my 20 year old f225's with routine maintenance and a minor repair here or there. My mid-sections were done prior to my ownership, but I have records.

From a dollars and cents perspective unless they simultaneously grenade on you it will take a long time to recoup that repower investment. Comfort, peace of mind, warranties are another matter all together.

Reactions: Catchmydrift

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Last week I paid $42,000 including taxes and all rigging including digital gauges for twin Suzuki digital 250’s - only additional component was steering rams which they brought in powder coated white to match engines for $1,700

Reactions: ItalianAngler

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Last week I paid $42,000 including taxes and all rigging including digital gauges for twin Suzuki digital 250’s - only additional component was steering rams which they brought in powder coated white to match engines for $1,700
Are you willing to tell us the dealer or do you want to keep it a secret? ;O)

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Are you willing to tell us the dealer or do you want to keep it a secret? ;O)
Just saw your plea & decided you are worthy of a reply
I am in the Forgotten Coast area of FL panhandle & found that Sipio Creek Marina in Apalachicola is a Suzuki dealer but expected to pay a premium because of isolated location. Was surprised when they gave me a quote that was quite a bit lower than others I had received. The quote was for a package that offered everything I wanted, except for PowerTech props, their attitude was take the package & get PowerTech props later.
I then found out they are part of a 13 marina buying group all located in FL & the actual buying dealer was Mastry located in Clearwater - I visited Mastry in September 2021 & was impressed with their service personnel & facility, at that time they had 900 Suzuki engines on order all of which were pre sold.
Mastry not only provides the equipment but technical support as well. I do know that the installing technician spent over 5 hours with tech support because the gauges that came with the engines were a new design & local tech wasn’t familiar with them. It seems like a good business model as it makes buying from a small operation a little more worry free.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree about the Mastry dealers. My Suzuki 300s are going on now. Just under $49k including tax with rigging, props, gauges, etc.. And that includes rigging a second station on top. Wait time was seven months.