Realistic 272 Sailfish Review

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My family and I really enjoy my '86 Grady Offshore with the 225 OX66 on it for almost all of our boating needs. The boat is on a mooring and we mainly travel a short distance to the beaches of Vineyard Sound on Cape Cod with the occasional jump over to Martha's Vineyard. With that being said we have also thought about upgrading over the winter to either the 268 Islander or 272 Sailfish. I was originally leaning towards the Islander since I can get it with a single 250, we are not looking for a rocket ship, just a nice all around crusising/fishing/family boat with the availability for an overnight here and there. With a lot of thought again we figured since we really do not travel too far most of the time the benefit of the extra foot beam would out way the fuel burn of the twins on a Sailfish compaired to an Islander with a single. Even if I do burn double what I do now it wouldn't add up to too much in the end of the year.

I guess my real question is the year ranges of the 272 Sailfish. I am really almost stuck on OX66 or newer Yamaha's but would consider anything else if it was a four stroke and too good to pass up. From what I gather the 272 came out in 1994. I also read that there were some hull modifications in the late 90's. We are not going to be running way off shore with it and mainly staying in Vineyard sound, are these modifications still important to consider or would it just be a nice feature if I found something that new in my price range. My pre SeaVee2 hull on the Offshore has been serving me real well so far and I would imagine any 268 or 272 would greatly out preform it no matter the generation

I am in no rush to buy and am looking for at great deal that I have seen pop up here and there in the past. Thanks for everyone's input

Andrew

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This thread hits on the differences between the Sailfish models:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10904

I have a 94 which had a full transom rebuild in 2006 when the E-tecs when on it. If I had to do it again I would look for a 98 or newer 272 or 282. You would get the benefit of both the longer running surface and the Greenwood coring material. (Although check with Grady customer service to confirm that 98 was the first year to contain Greenwood.)

Today was an interesting day planing-wise because I had 4 teenagers sitting on the bow and 4 adults in the cockpit and 110 gallons of fuel. It was a flat day but my wife wanted me to go slow and I had to really work at maintaining a slow planing speed while trying to keep the efficiency up at the same time. I suspect this would have been a bit easier with the full-running-surface hull. Other than that suspicion, I have no complaints about my hull. My boat is a rocket ship that hit 50 MPH with my old props and 48 with my current ones. It has no trouble getting on plane, in fact I can get on plane and hit 35 MPH with only one engine in the water.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is a negative review of a 97 Sailfish here

http://www.onewolf.org/sailfish272.htm

but I wonder if he exacerbated the potential problem (if there is one) by adding the custom tower with Rupp tower release outriggers on top of his hardtop. In addition to the weight and wind loading of the top, the outriggers attach further forward than the normal position.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks for e reply. Sometimes it is hard to determine the quality of some reviews especially on another boating forum that will remain nameless. Some just jump to any less than perfect aspect of a boat and dwell on that. I hope to find something over the winter, I do not plan on selling my offshore first in case I end up enjoying that another season or two if nothing pops up.

Andrew

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I bought a sailfish new in 2000. Had it till I sold it in 2012 to move up to 330 express. Loved my sailfish. Took me offshore (up to 80 miles) hundreds of times and always got me home safely - even In rough weather. The battery area is tight and there are some other finishing issues but it was a solid boat and also good for cruising around with family and anchoring off island for swimming etc. Mine had 225 ox66 and they were excellent engines and had great get up and go. Cruise 35 easily in right conditions.

fishbust

Reaction score
Firemedic, I suppose a realistic review can only come from an owner.
I bought my 272 late last fall and went over it top to bottom, fore to aft. It got everything it needed to be turn key in every sense of the word.
It is a 2000, which has the updated greenwood coring, extended running surface and is the same hull as the 282.

Been running this boat every chance I get since very early Spring.
I have no complaints about the boat at all.
I get 1.3 mpg fully loaded with 200hp ox66's.
Been told that these boats pound with the cabin forward but that is not the case and I have been around boats a very long time. These boats hold plane very well and I am surprised how adjustable the speed and ride really is.

You won't burn double fuel with twins. General rule of thumb is 30%.

When shopping, the other consideration for me was an islander. My neighbor has one. If you are not sweating about some extra fuel usage, go for the sailfish. It is a lot more boat. Do board both for a comparison to decide what suits you better.

Any changes I am making are just tailoring to my needs, like more rod holders, added a 4th battery, another batt switch, Yandina battery combiners, a backup bilge pump system......mostly things associated with going offshore, which I do for all my boats.

Something notorious would be the in holding tank macerator soaking in salt water. It will fail. Most people seem to convert to an external pump, which I will be doing next winter.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. - Joe.

the.devo

Reaction score
I live in Marion and I have a 2000 272 w/ 200hp OX66. Send me a PM and I can take you for a cruise sometime.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Sailfish is a decent amount more boat then the Islander. Unless you want to stay under the 8.5 beam, you give up a quite a bit. The Sailfish has the extra bunk (which is more for storage but at least that frees up the V), 1000 pounds of weight, and the extra beam is more space for the cockpit, helm, an cabin.

The '98 and newer models with the added running surface are better with the extra weight of 4 strokes.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I sold a 272 2000 sailfish a few years ago. Feel free to pm me if you want and I can give you a cell to discuss pros and cons.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 98 sailfish which was repowered in 2004 with f225's. 1998 and newer sailfish hulls have the greenwood plywood & extended hull surface under the transom. I love the boat, stable fishing platform with the 9.5 beam. The 4 strokes gets me 1.5 to 1.6 statute mpgs. Any questions pm me also-good luck

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Hello,

We've had our '98 272 for three summers now, and are very happy with it. It is a big boat for it's size, and very comfortable for our family, or when we take a few couples to a waterfront restaurant. The cabin is not huge, but is considerably bigger than the 268, which we also looked at. When running, if I have the motors trimmed up for best economy (for me it's abut 3800 rpm, cruising about 29-30 mph and burning 1.5 gph) and we run into a chop it will pound, but only because the bow is out of the water and the hull is impacting the waves too far aft. A little bit of trim tab to put the bow back into the water eliminates any pounding and produces a surprisingly comfortable ride. Up to a point of course.

I am very happy with the OX66 225's. Ours has about 500 hours total and so far the only things I have done to them is replace the impellers, thermostats, lower unit gear oil, and installed the new style poppet valves. I did get an alarm when coming off plane at the end of last summer and the poppet valve replacement took care of that. I also had an alarm when taking the boat out for the winter, but replacing the t-stats fixed that. I don't think I needed to replace the impellers, but I did it anyway to know where I was in the maintenance schedule. They start quickly, run very strong, and everyone who has been on the boat has commented about how quickly the boat comes onto plane. They do smoke a bit when the first start up, but usually after running on plane for a short time that stops when it comes back to idle. I did notice a fair amount of shaking when they are just above idle, and at first I was a bit disconcerted, but after talking to others and seeing some other similar motors run, it appears to be the norm. Mine have had covers their entire life so the paint and decals look like new. The lower units having not been covered show some sun discoloration, but when they are in the water they look new. They are not as quiet as four strokes, nor do they get as good gas mileage. That being said, for the money it would take me to re-power it's not even close to being worth it. That and the very easy maintenance schedule keep me from even thinking about it. These motors are great. Much better than I thought they would be. But that's just my 2 cents.

The helm station is also much bigger than the 268 and feels much more secure. The 268 just felt cramped to me, both the helm station and the cabin. Don't get me wrong, the 272 cabin is not huge by any stretch, but it is bigger. I really like the the extra beam, and makes it much more comfortable to have family/guests on board. Neither boat has an abundance of seating, and for hanging out at the marina we needed a few folding chairs to be more comfortable. With those added we can hang out for a while with others joining us. The head/shower area is not cavernous, but it serves it's purpose. All those things go away though if your priorities are an 8.5 foot beam.

Our boat was delivered new with every option Grady offered, and some dealer installed ones. The air conditioning makes hanging out at the boat at the marina nice, and keeps everything in the cabin dry even in the high humidity of the Chesapeake Bay summers. The Radar still works great and I use it often, especially on moonless nights. I replaced the danforth anchor that didn't ride the roller very well with a delta and it looks, rides and holds much better.

Now for the other side, but there isn't much...

One thing I was disappointed with was the ride at a drift. Not sure why, but the boat can have an almost harsh, snappy roll while sitting in the bay bottom fishing. Maybe I'm just too sensitive about it, but I can't stay on a drift for very long without getting half pissed and moving to find some calm water. I really expected a better drift with the larger beam, but that may be subjective on my part.

The macerator was froze when we bought the boat, but that is a common problem. I never fixed it and we just use pump outs, which are free at our marina. I doubt that I will replace it as I just don't need to. Since we have a fresh water head and use chemicals that seem to work in the holding tank, I don't get any smell at all, so I don't think I will change anything.

The thru hull/seacocks are WAY down in the aft bilge and it takes a stretch to get to them . Other than exercising them, I usually only leave the A/C valve open. The live well and the wash down pump usually stay closed as I don't use those things much, if at all. I am thinking about putting a rod through the handles to make them easier to get to, but that's a winter project if I do it at all.

The aft bilge pretty much stays dry all the time. The forward bilge does accumulate some water that is too shallow to actuate the auto bilge switch. If I turn on the manual bilge switch I can get most of it out, but there will still be some that is there. I usually take a hand pump and move it to the shower sump and pump it overboard with that. The reason that water accumulates there is two-fold. First, the A/C unit condenses into the bilge, and second, everything drains overboard except for the anchor locker. A heavy rain will put some water in the forward bilge from the hatch to the anchor locker, and I can probably alleviate this with some type of gasket around it. I may look into that next winter, but I will still get water from the A/C unit. I believe the overall problem is that the mounting platform for the auto bilge switch is slightly raised from the bilge itself. Overall not a big problem, but a small gripe.

The wiring for the boat is somewhat of a rat's nest. It's not terrible, but not what you see on newer boats. It seems to be of very high quality, but not organized as I might like it to be. Some of that may be dealer related as they probably installed a lot of things, and it's not too bad, just another minor gripe.

I'm sure there are a few other things that I could mention, but overall we really like the boat. A Marlin or another boat might do some things better, but for the money we have invested and the operational costs we incur, we are very happy with it. We came to this boat from a sailboat, and I would like to get another larger sailboat for spending a few weeks on the bay, or even for going down the inter-coastal waterway, but if we do, and my wife agrees, we intend to keep this boat as well. It does most everything we ask it to, and except for the few things I mentioned, it does it very well.

Just my .02 cents. Hope that helps.

Reactions: pdjmwj