really need guidance

gradyforyou

Reaction score
Right now I have a 91 228g with a 92 200 evinrude. Motor runs fair at best. I really want to repower. I have been looking at yami 200 or 225 with quotes ranging from 21k to24k installed with new controls. I dont have that kind of money floating around, not to mention if I did spend it, my boat when it gets home is going to be worth $15000 tops. Buddy of mine mentioned a Mercury 150 4 stroke ($11,300 w/ controls and I install). My gut is underpowered but I want to see other peoples opinion.
1) my current motor and the merc 150 weigh almost the same and I would be getting rid of 2-3 gallons of oil I carry and the tank (20lbs?)

2) would take off my kicker motor and 3-5 gals of fuel that I use to troll with cause my evinrude is too loud (100lbs + 21lbs)

3) thinking of taking out my second battery as I only have minimal electronics not trolling motors or downriggers (39lbs)

4) Merc 150 rated at 164.9 hp. My current evinrude cant be pushing a full 200hp anymore if it ever did.

Have a friend who has a similar boat to mine one foot shorter weighs in at 2800 dry weight no motor. Says when he has 8 people and loaded to fish it takes a bit to get out the hole, but it does. It is usually just two adults and two kids. HP vs weight vs cost. ???? $10000 more for 30 more hp max( i heard the yamis produce 95% of the stated hp). Just feels like it is worth considering. At this point I am not made of money.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyforyou said:
Right now I have a 91 228g with a 92 200 evinrude. Motor runs fair at best. I really want to repower. I have been looking at yami 200 or 225 with quotes ranging from 21k to24k installed with new controls. I dont have that kind of money floating around, not to mention if I did spend it, my boat when it gets home is going to be worth $15000 tops. Buddy of mine mentioned a Mercury 150 4 stroke ($11,300 w/ controls and I install). My gut is underpowered but I want to see other peoples opinion.
1) my current motor and the merc 150 weigh almost the same and I would be getting rid of 2-3 gallons of oil I carry and the tank (20lbs?)

2) would take off my kicker motor and 3-5 gals of fuel that I use to troll with cause my evinrude is too loud (100lbs + 21lbs)

3) thinking of taking out my second battery as I only have minimal electronics not trolling motors or downriggers (39lbs)

4) Merc 150 rated at 164.9 hp. My current evinrude cant be pushing a full 200hp anymore if it ever did.

Have a friend who has a similar boat to mine one foot shorter weighs in at 2800 dry weight no motor. Says when he has 8 people and loaded to fish it takes a bit to get out the hole, but it does. It is usually just two adults and two kids. HP vs weight vs cost. ???? $10000 more for 30 more hp max( i heard the yamis produce 95% of the stated hp). Just feels like it is worth considering. At this point I am not made of money.

I wouldnt do it. WAY underpowered..I wouldnt put anything less then a 225 on that heavy hull. You will wind up putting more strain on the engine making it work harder resulting most likely with a shorter life span

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I'd hold out for a used four stroke. I have a T-225 with a 225 Honda, and I wouldn't want anything less. Your hull is even heavier than mine, you may not be accomplishing much if you underpower ... :wink:

gradyforyou

Reaction score
Just how heavy is my hull. I have only beeen able to find weight of the new hull?
I am in SC, not having much luck on finding used yamis around here. Seems like they are all in FL. Any suggestions on finding used?

Sully4755

Reaction score
I have a 1989 228G and I believe the dry weight minus motor is 3400 Lbs.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
OK I swear I am not trying to be difficult, I am just having trouble with my logic.
Using Sullys numbers and my original post math, I am figuring that I will be 318lbs lighter with a 150 merc vs 200 yami and lose 28 hp.
Riding higher in the water has to equate to hp somehow. No need to tell me I am dumb, I am told that all the time.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
It's not just raw HP that matters. Torque is as or more important and where it develops it in the power band as well. 150 is way underpowered for that boat. I think it's a little light for a 20 footer and I'm no speed demon. Other poster is right....Find a late model, low hours used 4 stroke and bolt it on. Don't go below 225 HP.....You WILL regret it.....

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You asked for guidance , and I believe that you've gotten excellent, real world responses, with explanations. They all seem to tell you that you will regret it going down (25% ) in horsepower. I understand the money factor and agree with the poster that suggests a later model used four stroke rather than new. Ultimately it's your call..good luck.

PA228G

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation with my 228 this time last year. I spent months searching and eventually found a used 250hp E-Tec with 250 hrs on it for less than $8K incl new controls, etc. Still alot of money but as others have stated anything less than 225hp is a waste. Patience.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. If anybody know of a good used yami, let me know.

BCLII

Reaction score
Don't know about used, but my dealer here quoted me a new 2012 Yamaha 250 $17,000 installed!

gradyforyou

Reaction score
where did you get a quote of 17000 from. My lowest was 20000 for a 200 hp

BCLII

Reaction score
That's here in Mn at my local dealership. I've worked with these guys over many years. Owner told me $14,400 for the 225 and $15,200 for the 250. These are the new offshore Yammi's! Then rigging cost is $1800. There is hardly any mark up on these prices and includes hold back money from Yamaha to the dealer once they register the motor.
Check this site out http://www.seedealercost.com/om
Keep in mind this does not include the hold back money from the manufacturer to the dealer. Just like the Auto industry!

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
I would not recommend down sizing your hp unless you were going to do twins. The right motor choice for your hull in my opinion is 225 hp. If you can't afford new than buy used. Nothing wrong with a good used motor. You hit the nail on the head with your boats age. It is a 1991. Go get yourself a 2006 or newer F225 yami for around the same price as that 150. Should not even be a question in my opinion.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I ran a 1991 228 for 4 years and I had a 2006 200 Yamaha 4-stoke. When fishing I had my 90 gallon fuel tank full, 5-6 person crew, a fish coffin full of ice and other misc equipment. I don't know what that weighs but the real world translation is enough power to plane, push through some chop with the trim tabs down and average 2-3 mpg. I will tell you though when she would fall off of plane, it was sluggish to plane back out, but nothing I was ever concerned about. My advise to you would be don't put anything less than 200 4-stroke on your boat. I am not sure about 2-stroke, but certainly a 150 is just not going to do it. I feel for you in your situation and understand the conflict but I really think if you do the 150 merc in the long run you're going to end up spending more money. There are people who are looking to sell their current yamahas to upgrade to the 300 or 350s. Keep yours eyes on thehulltruth.com you may find something that is better for you in the long run. I love spending other peoples money, if I happen to come across something I will send it your way. Finding a well maintained, un-abused engine could be a challenge in itself but would be worth it.
good luck man
Nick
If you happen to go ahead and mount the 150 merc, let us know how it works out. This question comes up from time to time but I have never actually heard someone's experience with that power.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I had my 228G, I ran it with a 200 efi Yamaha and later a 225 OX66 Yamaha. If you're concerned about the weight and cost of a V6 four stroke (and I would NOT get rid of a battery to help compensate for weight), look for a 200 HPDI. I have two of them on my current Grady, and feel one of them would have been a great match for the 228. They've very powerful, lightweight, fuel efficient, NO smoke, and quite a bit less than four strokes. It would be a very fair compromise in my opinion, and most people feel they're about the most reliable motors Yamaha has made.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
I really appreciate everyones advice on this thread. I talked to my buddy today who has a 05 Polar 2100 CC. Beam is 2" wider, drafts 4" deeper, and weigh 200-350lbs less than me. But he goes out fully loaded to fish with ice, beer, and people. By my math he is at capacity when fishing. Told me it takes a few seconds but the boat will get on plane even in swells. I am just stuck on how well his boat performs w/ the 150 and the fact that my boat would be lighter, keeping scuppers higher. (I am not afraid of scupper height but having them out of the water is better in my book, than submerged cause of the extra weight of a 200 or 225. This has been talked about plenty).

Does anyone have a 228 with less than 200hp?

I was all for a 200 or 225 until I saw this boat in action and then looked at some specs.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
You guys are probably hating me at this point, but I was just on the Grady site. The new 228 is 510 lbs heaviers and two more inches of draft than my older hull. 200 hp is a standard.

Now I am talkin cars but if you cant increase hp decrease weight. Top end is not affected near as much by weight but accelearation is. Two different animals but there is still drag, friction, and other physics at work.

No doubt if I wanted to be able to load my boat heavy and go anywhere go bigger, but I am a less is more type.

Again I know I am being difficult but try to be nice.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you're asking what will work I think the general opinion is to not go less than 200hp. Most of us on here don't really know what you can get away with because we think in terms of how can we optimize our vessels. I think you're on your own with this one my friend. If you do the math and feel confident with your calculations then give it a shot. I hope it works out for you, but keep us posted either way.
Nick

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
I have a 200HP Yamaha HPDI on my 2000 228G, and it seems to push the boat along pretty well. I usually run with a full 92 gallons of fuel, and cooler of ice, two people. The hole shot isn't bad, and it runs somewhere around 34 mph at WOT in good conditions. I would think that a 200 would be the very low end of what you would want on the back of the boat. Good luck with the search, and let us know how it goes.

SwampGrizz
Savannah, Ga.