Really stumped on gas gauge

Grady175

Reaction score
I bought the new sending unit and when I hooked it up the gauge pegged empty (actually below empty). The tank is full (visual inspection when I had the sending unit out).

I tested the wires from the tank by connecting pink to black and the gauge pegs full which tells me the wiring is Ok. I even ran an external set of wires to test it but got the same reaction with both the old sending unit and the new sending unit.

I'm guessing I have a bad gauge but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. Is there some other test I should be doing?

Grady175

Reaction score
I called WEMA and was told that they use the pink lead as a common ground and the black is the sending unit. This is the exact opposite of Grady. Reversed the connection on the sending unit and it worked!!

Grady175

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. It is working fine now that I switched the wires. I took it for a run on Saturday and the gauge worked great. I burned about 1/4 tank and the gauge reflected it. I filled up and everything worked out.

Leebert

Reaction score
Who in the world decided that pink would be a good color choice for ground?

That is funny.

LB

Grady175

Reaction score
I am sure they didn't decide to make it a pink ground, they made it that way to may a simple job for me MUCH more difficult!

That is the way things work for me.