Really stupid question about Aux. switches.

mboyatt

Reaction score
So, I have a 1994 192 tournament with fish finder, stereo and VHF. All of those power up without the need to hit a switch. I have 2 Aux. Switches that light up, but they don't power anything on the boat. If I get some new toys, how do I wire these so they employ one of the aux. Switches? I am thinking about some led lights under the gunwales. Also, what were these switches used for traditionally, a search light or something?? Sorry for the silly question! Trying to find some new projects for the ole Grady. :lol:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Think of 'aux' as extra. They light up when power goes through the switch to the light (ON position), doesn't mean anything is being powered (other than the light), or that whatever actually works. Connect whatever to the switch and a ground and you're in business. Note for future: the light doesn't mean an accessory is being powered, only that the light is ... :wink:

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First thing I would do is get a copy of the wiring diagram for your boat. I have an 88 Overnighter and a copy of mine was available online under customer resources at the Grady site. I found that my boat actually had a lead that was taped off in the stern area that was connected to my "Aux" switch. I used the lead to connect to a raw water washdown pump.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
mboyatt said:
... Also, what were these switches used for traditionally, a search light or something??

Every boater has different needs, so I don't think there are any uses which would be considered traditional, but on my boat, the AUX switches control my bait pump (for an auxiliary live bait tank) and my spreader lights.

izzy

Reaction score
Aux switches are wired to power so the light when on, this is only to show the switch is on, if something is to be actually controlled by the switch that would have to be wired seperately to the same switch on a different terminal which is seperate from the lighted switch terminal.

Willy-C

Reaction score
Mboyatt,

My 1992 19' grady has a "Cabin lights" switch on the dash (lights under the gunwale interior).....I'm surprised you don't have this already

mboyatt

Reaction score
Willy-c, my 192 does have the cabin lights with the switch on the dash. The cockpit lights are located port and starboard, kind of up under the dash and also under the port glovebox. Mine are working. I was really just looking for a cool project and thought of running blue led strips under the gunnels, and having those wired to the aux. Switch. I am kind of torn, because this would be a truly unecessary project - but it would look pretty cool. Thank you all for the responses! I now understand how to wire the switch.