Rear Coaming Bolster

ahill

Reaction score
It's time to recover the rear seat bolster & rear coaming bolster on my '98 272.
The seat bolster sldes off but the coaming bolster won't budge. On inspection of the inner liner it seems the bolster is attached the same way as the seat bolster, screws coming thru inner liner instead of bolts & nuts.
B4 I try to force removal, has anyone experienced this?

JOSH S

Reaction score
If you look at the drain hole grommets on the underside of the bolster you shoul find a screw in each grommet. After removing those screws just lift the bolster straight up.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You will probably be surprised how much rust you find on the clips. I've had to replace mine on a 2004 282 and they were pretty much disintergrated.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bolsters

I had all of my bolsters replaced last year. Take those screws out and the bolsters should just lift off. My local canvas guy replaced them all for $500. He did a great job and was able to match same color and rib design as the originals. I left the screws out and have no issues with the bolsters coming off during the season. I just remove them after the season and store them in the garage.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had those pink blotches on my previous 282 and had to replace all the bolsters. I used that heavy duty velcro ~2 inches thick with the adhesive on the back side (peel and stick). I put this on the fiberglass liner in a few spots and also on the plastic backer on the bolster. I slid them over the metal bars holding the velcro away from the mate. When in position, I just pushed them tight. Never had an issue and no screws to deal with.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I had those pink blotches on my previous 282 and had to replace all the bolsters. I used that heavy duty velcro ~2 inches thick with the adhesive on the back side (peel and stick). I put this on the fiberglass liner in a few spots and also on the plastic backer on the bolster. I slid them over the metal bars holding the velcro away from the mate. When in position, I just pushed them tight. Never had an issue and no screws to deal with.

Good idea. When I removed a couple of my bolsters to do some work on the boat, I had a heck of a time getting to the screws and getting them off. I will retrofit the next time they come off.

ahill

Reaction score
The pink blotches are somewhat of a mystery.
Sometimes their present but after a serious S. FL downpour they disappear. Maybe try treating with ozone or oxyclean?