Rear Rod holder replacement 228

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is a 4 position rod holder at the rear of a 228 mounted in front of the live well.
The plastic holders themselves are getting old and cracking. Anyone know the manufacturer and where I could pick up the plastic holders..
Thanks

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I cannot help you, I had the same problem with my 248. I even purchased a new set from West Marine that came with new brackets but couldn't figure out how to get the old brackets off. I finally returned the set to West and purchased some plastic pipe to screw onto the brackets.

MixinItUp

Reaction score
I changed out the 4 tubes this season on my 2006 228.

Problem is that they have slightly changed the design or the rod holder and tubes and don't have any of the old version left at the plant(I placed several calls to the manufacturer that were never answered/returned). Your tubes are probably solid like on my 2006. The new ones have access holes to simplify the installation process. Problem is that the new spacing of the horizontal members changed, so the holes won't match up with your existing hortizontal elements. IMO it looks better than the old cracked tubes but not as good as Original.

The tubes themselves are about $5 per tube from any Grady Dealer. I am in Savannah, GA but have always ordered my parts from Port Of Egypt marine out of NY. I will be at my boat today and can take a pic if you would like.

Padgett
Mixin'ItUp
Savannah, GA

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Was away for a few days so I did not have a chance to check in here.. If you get a shot.. THat is fine..
would appreciate it.. no biggie.. I will figure out something. Thanks

MixinItUp said:
I changed out the 4 tubes this season on my 2006 228.

Problem is that they have slightly changed the design or the rod holder and tubes and don't have any of the old version left at the plant(I placed several calls to the manufacturer that were never answered/returned). Your tubes are probably solid like on my 2006. The new ones have access holes to simplify the installation process. Problem is that the new spacing of the horizontal members changed, so the holes won't match up with your existing hortizontal elements. IMO it looks better than the old cracked tubes but not as good as Original.

The tubes themselves are about $5 per tube from any Grady Dealer. I am in Savannah, GA but have always ordered my parts from Port Of Egypt marine out of NY. I will be at my boat today and can take a pic if you would like.

Padgett
Mixin'ItUp
Savannah, GA

domsmith

Reaction score
Hello..
The information you shared in the post related to the holder is very useful as I was in need of such resource. I am glad I visited here and gathered so many facts.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
rorkin said:
I did come up with these that look like they can be modified . But still looking for the original.. Seems odd that no
one has done this before

http://tacomarine.com/item--Thru-Bolt-M ... 4-011.html

I replaced my tubes a few years ago with replacements similar to these. They need replacing again as they've been stained and oxidized and I can't seem to get them clean.

I've toyed with the idea of having an aluminum rod holder fabricated but never pursued it. Maybe now is the time to reconsider since the PVC tubes need to be replaced.