Rear scuppers on a 248

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Has anyone ever removed the deck scuppers, 1 1/2 inch hose , I know that Grady used some type of swivel 90% elbows that the scuppers attach to , not sure if they will screw out from top to free up the elbow for hose replacement, just picked up this boat and replacing the rotten drain lines

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my 2000 Seafarer, the rear scuppers are 2 piece. The deck drain screws into the plastic elbow below the deck, but there is a locking nut holding the drain tight to the bottom of the deck, which has to be loosened.

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
So if I get this right, the nut pulls the deck flange down to seal ——- the deck flange doesn’t screw into the elbow, I saw some indents in the deck flange that maybe a 1 inch or so flat blade would fit into to screw them out

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The nut is actually built into a flange underneath the deck. The flange goes on loosely, then you screw the deck drain into the elbow, if the hose is already attached to the elbow, which is the easiest way to get the hose on. But, you have to have the length just right to get the drain to screw into the elbow. You then tighten up the flange nut.
Or, you can screw the flange nut up ADB816B4-B81E-4192-9C06-8F27F2EF4838.jpeg7F8234B2-962C-4E5E-BE0A-88F51A9B7798.jpeg
tight, then screw the elbow onto the threads below the nut, and then attach the hose, if you have that much room to work with. Put some pipe seal on the male threads and all you need is good hand tight. Mine were not even that, before I removed them, but that connection is not going anywhere.
I had a small piece of flat bar stock, which fit into the grooves in the drain, and used a crescent wrench to turn.

Last edited:

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I just trying to work smarter not harder

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Smart would be to separate the drain from the elbow, before trying to remove those old stiff hoses. A lot of us have done this job, some several times, and there is a lot of info and pics on the site. Searching "Scupper hose replacement" turned up these.

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Removed all fuel and bilge and vent and fresh water hoses, down to the last 3 hoses, 2 on port livewell and the 1 hose on the stowage/ice on the starboard side aft of the captains seat, has anyone found a way yet to gain access to replacing them