Rear Seat Lids - Ball Latches on 180

NHAngler

Reaction score
My rear seat tops pop open when trailing. Seeing this in the mirror and knowing how violently they come back down sends shivers down my spine. I have either installed the seat cushion while traveling or a small piece of duct tape. Duct tape leaving residue behind on hot days and after a 1.5 hour drive the other day I found one of my seat cushions on the floor floating around (glad it did not fly off the boat).

I have been looking for latches but want to keep it simple yet without any latches to deal with on the outside. If so, i would go with the ones similar to the southco draw latches used up front on the livewell and fish hold up front.

Otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this ball latch style from southco?
http://www.southco.com/en-us/m5-bc/m5-10-271-8?hid=8119

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Latches like that will probably be the cheapest way to go. I've some boats that have hidden platform ladders use magnets to keep the lid down. Also, a rubber cup-and-ball setup. In the past, I've made my own magnetic setup - it was for a transom door (Sea Ray Sundancer/cruiser) that was normally held open with a black, nylon strap/snap setup. I wanted it to stay open "magically" with nothing visible.

Or... just fill a heavy duty ziploc bag with sand and lay it on top.