Rebuild Trailer with Upgrade or Buy New?

langski93

Reaction score
I have a Adventure 208. Any opinions on whether I should buy a new trailer or have my 1999 EZ Loader upgraded to SS Disc Brakes and then also have my rollers and hardware changed out. The surge activated drum brakes are shot as are the rollers. My mechanic ballparked the cost of the new disc brake system at about $1000, new actuator and all parts, but he was thinking non SS parts and he had not yet included the cost of new rollers etc. I trailer my boat everywhere, so I have always maintained tires, bearings etc. It goes in fresh and salt water and I intend to have the boat at least another 5 years. What would you guys do?

Thanks Guys
Langski

Pete1313

Reaction score
I don't know how handy you are, but this sounds like something you could do fairly economically if you did alot of the work yourself. The Kodiak brake kits I think are around $500 or so...but I could be wrong. Doing that and the rollers can't be as much as the trailer... I think if the trailer frame is in good shape, its worth it to rebuild.....in the end it should cost you less....especially when labor is $90/hr.

However, this is coming from a guy who is somewhat handy and also has two good buddies who are amazing mechanics and help me out in exchange for beer and fishing time on the boat...

I trailer my boat 10 miles each way from storage to the launch. I also am taking it on a 300+ mile trip up Vanc Island this year - I'm redoing all leaf springs, bearing etc....parts should cost around $500.....

seasick

Reaction score
I agree; upgrade
A new trailer would run $3000+. Since you ran it in fresh water, there is less chance of internal corrosion which is hard to detect. SS disks are a good choice but you don't need all SS hardware. Good galvanized will do fine. I would also consider new lights, LED sealed, if you don't already have them. Buy good rollers. They will probably cost more than the brakes depending of course on how many you have ( 24 at least for that hull). As mentioned, the job can be a DIY one which can save you some bucks.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Whether you decide on a new trailer or a re-fit, I would think that the "investment" in an all SS disk brake system (pricey) is questionable for you, unless you're going to keep your rig indefinitely. You really have to do the math and price out a new trailer vs. upgrades in the various material configurations which are now available. I got almost 25 years out of my steel trailer by constantly repairing, upgrading to disks and so forth. I refuse to calculate how much money I spent because I'd probably shoot myself. This year, faced with yet another "new brakes or new trailer" dilemma, I bit the bullet and went new, and looking back, I wish I'd done it long ago.

seasick

Reaction score
A lot depends on what water you boat in. Fresh water use can enable the main components to last a long time. Salt is another story. Even with thorough rinsing, corrosion is inevitable for galvanised metal. Brakes corrode in all waters and actuators only last so long.
Stainless disks wont corrode as fast as plain steel.
You need to determine how your springs are. leafs are easy to inspect, torsions are difficult to judge.
That said, as I mentioned, if the frame is good and the springs/hangers are good, upgrading may be worth it.