rebuilt powerhead

4rfam

Reaction score
My 1989 200hp johnson outboard needs to be rebuilt, low compression on two cinders. Looks for a place in the Hampton Roads area, any suggestions?

seasick

Reaction score
Probably not worth rebuilding. I would look for a decent used later model motor.
How low is low compression? (other cyls vs low ones)

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hampton Roads is in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Southeastern part of VA.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For the cost of a new powerhead on a 32 year old outboard you could probably find a much newer used one.

Reactions: PointedRose

4rfam

Reaction score
Sorry been away, the issue is I have twin 200s on the boat and the starboard motor run great with good compression and I would like to keep the boat original. The port engine has 30lbs in one cylinder and 45 in another. the other 4 have good compression, I can have it rebuild in NC for 4000.00 with a warranty. I'm in Hampton, VA and was looking for someone a little closer. NC is 4.5 hours away from me.

4rfam

Reaction score
You must mean the re-builder is 4.5 hours away. Hampton Roads is on the NC border, and actually includes some northeastern NC counties. I'm in the middle of NC, and can be in Richmond in 3 hours.

the company Im looking at is in Lexington, NC which google says it four and half hours from hampton, va

seasick

Reaction score
Does the working motor have the original oil mixing pump or has it been modified to use pre-mix?
I think those VRO equipped motor were known for blowing up due to VRO failures and a lot were modified.

4rfam

Reaction score
Does the working motor have the original oil mixing pump or has it been modified to use pre-mix?
I think those VRO equipped motor were known for blowing up due to VRO failures and a lot were modified.
Both motors have modified to pre-mix