Receiver recommendation

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2003 330 and the first casualty of the winter storage is the original Kenwood stereo. Looking for recommendation on a replacement. I've done a bunch of searching here, and most of what I've seen are folks looking to go higher end. Primary use would be bluetoothing playlists from Iphone. We are an iphone/apple household if that makes any difference.

What I'd like. Bluetooth compatible, AM/FM, Fit into same hole, with or without an adapter plate, use existing wiring

What I don't need/want Remote at helm, integration to my MFD's, Amps, new speakers, new wiring.

I found that cleaning the boat without music was no fun but otherwise, having working stereo is a nice to have. I don't have a budget per se, but something under $250.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is it a normal size stereo? Usually referred to as "single din" if you want to look it up. It's the most common size and readily available. It should fit right into the existing slot. Wiring may or may not match up with "connectors"... but it's very easy to splice and wire color coding is standard.

Edit: Oh, under $250 should be no problem for a basic stereo with BT. Just look around - there will be plenty. You might pay a bit more, but you get a TON more customer service at a place like Crutchfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk a

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Garmin Fusion has several.

My Islander had a DIN size unit. I installed RA70 for $169.99. That has everything you are looking for. No adapter plate necessary. I used all existing wiring. Disconnected mating GW cable from boat and took the other end off old unit. Spliced the cable/connector off the boat into the new Fusion unit cable. Plug and play from there. I'm a Apple user too. You can plug iPhone into USB, or use Bluetooth connection.

Eventually I upgraded to a RA770 for $699.99. Installed in original GW stereo housing but I needed a faceplate adapter. This worked well. Added an amp and subwoofer too.

I have SIRIUS/XM adapter as well. Don't particularly like it. I have turned it off twice now only to have them come back to me with a inexpensive 12-month deal. Almost due to turn it off again!

I mostly use it for Pandora via Bluetooth.

I recommend a inductive charger/phone mount too like the Scanstrut/ROKK.

Garmin doesn't allow dealers to discount units. My RA70 came from Crutchfield. And as DennisG01 said Crutcfield is good to work with. Second unit came from West Marine during their 5X points weekend (20% savings).

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk a

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I also have a 2003 330. I just replaced the factory Kenwood with a Fusion MS-RA70NSX. Fairly easy installation - used existing 4 speakers. Love it. Fully controllable with cell phone Fusion app. Bluetooth easy to use. Replaced Kenwood helm controller with a two port 12V accessory/cellphone charger.IMG_5245.JPEG

Reactions: Chutch and kirk a

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've said this before but really the only way to go.
Fusion Head and Helm Remote, Fusion 2 channel AMP, 6 Fusion Speakers (4 6" and 2 4" - or whatever size you have). You won't be sorry.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fusion units also have NMEA2000 connectivity. If you have a newer Garmin chartplotter you can control the unit from the display. Fusion app for phone as well.