Recomendations for transom rebuild

jasonburrwc84

Reaction score
All,

I'm in need of recommendations on folks who can provide me a quote on rebuilding the transom on my 1999 fisherman 222. I have stress cracks which have gotten a good bit worse over the past few years. The motor still seems pretty solid however, the crack has continued to grow and the fiberglass now seems to be separating.

I would prefer recommendations from folks who have had similar work done and would use the same folks to do the repair again. Also, any guidance on what a typical job like this should run would be very helpful.

Thanks again,

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpg
    IMG_4574.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_4575.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg
    756.1 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_4576.jpg
    IMG_4576.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_4577.jpg
    IMG_4577.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,607

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I thought a 1999 should have the "rot-free" wood in it. I guess that would not prevent the fiberglass skin from delaminating though. I was going to tackle a similar project on a local bat that was for sale cheap but the wood was actually rotted, seller didn't accept offer in the end for the boat. I was going to take the motor off and cut the back skin off, replace wood core, and then reapply the cut off skin and glass/gelcoat it back in place. I would be interesting in hearing what the inside looks like and input from others with more experience.

jasonburrwc84

Reaction score
Thanks for you response and I'll provide any feedback and info I learn. I'm going to reach out to Grady White and see if it does include the rot free transom. The transom still feels rock solid but water has definitely gotten behind the laminate.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

jasonburrwc84

Reaction score
Fire93Medic said:
I thought a 1999 should have the "rot-free" wood in it. I guess that would not prevent the fiberglass skin from delaminating though. I was going to tackle a similar project on a local bat that was for sale cheap but the wood was actually rotted, seller didn't accept offer in the end for the boat. I was going to take the motor off and cut the back skin off, replace wood core, and then reapply the cut off skin and glass/gelcoat it back in place. I would be interesting in hearing what the inside looks like and input from others with more experience.

How do you like your ox66 twins? My 225 is rock solid. Burns oil and gas like crazy but keeps on ticking!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would suspect 2500 t0 5000.00 depending on who does it and what sort of fit & finish you want. sometimes there are some good cash deals to be had in the off season.

jasonburrwc84

Reaction score
Fire93Medic said:

I just received a response from Grady White and you are correct. Grady White begin using Perma Panel plywood in all of there transoms. Hopefully that explains why the Transom feel solid.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
jasonburrwc84 said:
Fire93Medic said:

How do you like your ox66 twins? My 225 is rock solid. Burns oil and gas like crazy but keeps on ticking!

I like my 225's. I had a few issues with one the first season I had this boat, figured it out to be the O2 sensor and the throttle positioning sensor, I hope! I am going to have the props tuned too to try and gets the RPMs in better sync. Great motors though!

PS Guy

Reaction score
I had the transom replaced professionally on a 1994 Tournament 192 from the outside in for $3500.00
Leakage under the aluminum trim.
Looks like new. I think it was a very good deal. This was done in Ontario, Canada.