Recommend a marine stereo (any direct replacements for the original Kenwood KMR-700U?)

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I bought a Grady White 275 Freedom yesterday that's equipped with the original Kenwood KMR-700U stereo with two KCA-RC107MR remotes (one in the helm, one near the stern seating). It's not working properly and it looks pretty dated so I'd like to replace it. I don't need CD capability - FM, XM and Bluetooth would work just fine; even better if there's something that supports Spotify natively like my new car does. The main trick in this case will be something that's a direct replacement for the Kenwood receiver and remotes size-wise because I don't want to do any glass work.

I'm also open to being convinced that this is good gear and I wouldn't gain anything functionally by upgrading.

x113KMR700U-f_mt.jpegKenwood_KCA-RC107MR.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I put this one in years ago and it works and fitswith my remotes. It can be controlled by an AP too. about 100 bucks
Kenwood KDC-BT375U - Control your Bluetooth, Internet radio, and tone controls using the Kenwood Remote app

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
@Legend thanks for the tip. What do you mean by an AP? Can the KDC-BT375U use the original remotes and wiring?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I replaced the Kenwood in my 2006 330 with Fusion RA670. Like it so far and fusion app.

D69stang

Reaction score
I bought a Grady White 275 Freedom yesterday that's equipped with the original Kenwood KMR-700U stereo with two KCA-RC107MR remotes (one in the helm, one near the stern seating). It's not working properly and it looks pretty dated so I'd like to replace it. I don't need CD capability - FM, XM and Bluetooth would work just fine; even better if there's something that supports Spotify natively like my new car does. The main trick in this case will be something that's a direct replacement for the Kenwood receiver and remotes size-wise because I don't want to do any glass work.

I'm also open to being convinced that this is good gear and I wouldn't gain anything functionally by upgrading.

View attachment 14909View attachment 14910
am wondering what you did here as i am in the same exact spoit right now and wanting to try to do it myself swapping out the recieve4r but still using the two remotes.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
am wondering what you did here as i am in the same exact spoit right now and wanting to try to do it myself swapping out the recieve4r but still using the two remotes.
I realized how expensive it would be and didn't do anything. :)

D69stang

Reaction score
I realized how expensive it would be and didn't do anything. :)
yeah i priced having some come and change the radio and it was in the 2500 range so am wondering i can do it myself, but want to try to use the same two remotes and not have to run wiring all over so i was hoping you were gonna say you found a kenwood as a direct easy replacement. Ha!

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Not sure if it will fit the cutouts, but I am very happy with my FUSION unit.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Another vote for fusion. Best boat stereo I have had.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thee ud650 fusion was a good fit. I did add a small plastic face plate from Amazon but really not needed.

D69stang

Reaction score
Thee ud650 fusion was a good fit. I did add a small plastic face plate from Amazon but really not needed.
did you install the remotes as well. do you know if they fit in the openings of the kenwood remotes. am trying to do as little (actually none) glass work if i do this as a diy.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just installed a Fusion Apollo hideaway system WB670. It has a class D amp which produces excellent sound with low heat and current draw. It's a white box that can be installed nearly anywhere and is controlled by your plotter, an app or the Garmin Quatix 6 or 7 watch. My boat audio is night and day better than the Alpine Marine system I had. It's powerful built in amp delivers 70 watts a channel x 4 for nearly 300 watts which is pretty decent but if you want it will support a dedicated sub woofer amp plus pre-outs for two more amplifiers. I paired it with 2 JLs 7s and a pair of their 6.5 vex pods flush mounted under the helm area. If I wanted to be THAT guy at the sandbar I could with this set up lol.

Fusion brother.

Fishtales

Reaction score
did you install the remotes as well. do you know if they fit in the openings of the kenwood remotes. am trying to do as little (actually none) glass work if i do this as a diy.
I installed the Fusion helm remote. Just had to cut the dash a bit as the core of the Fusion was bigger than the Kenwood. Looks perfect in the dash. I snaked the wire to the unit under the headliner. Took a while but can be done.

D69stang

Reaction score
I installed the Fusion helm remote. Just had to cut the dash a bit as the core of the Fusion was bigger than the Kenwood. Looks perfect in the dash. I snaked the wire to the unit under the headliner. Took a while but can be done.
so i took out the kenwood remote and it appears that the hole from the remote is slightly larger than the template for the fusion remote i am speaking of the rectangular remotes) i suppose i can gfet one of those blank plastice pieces and fabricate it to make the fusion remote larger enough for the current opening.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had the small Kenwood remote and the fusion was actually larger. I did have to make the center hile larger for the fusion. It then fit perfectly. No plate needed. Maybe there are several Kenwood remotes?

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
See attached

Attachments

• 959440B0-C943-45E8-AD71-3F1600C960B5.jpeg
    959440B0-C943-45E8-AD71-3F1600C960B5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 6F07D74C-5CB1-4F0B-A60F-06105267FFD6.jpeg
    6F07D74C-5CB1-4F0B-A60F-06105267FFD6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14