Recommendations for ICOM Hand Held

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What do you gents think? Worth the money? Extremely reliable ( needed for aviaiton )? Appreciate the inputs.

seasick

Reaction score
I am no sure what you are asking. Are you asking about a specific model that you didn't seem to mention:)
Are you also asking about suitability in a plane? If so, I would ask on one of the aviation sites

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was looking at tthe brand in general - features, durability, and reliability of any ICOM products.

seasick

Reaction score
ICom, Uniden, Standard Horizon They are all decent products but it isn't so easy to recommend one brand over the other. That is because each brand and model have plusses and minuses. You really need to research the features that reviewers like and dislike and hopefully, pick a model based on your needs.
For example, DSC may be important and a lot of handhelds dont have it. You may want an IP8 rated device, one that can be submerged or maybe an IP7 will do.
Maybe you want the option to run on dry cells in a pinch should the rechargeable battery die.
Some displays are easier to see than others.Some displays have a lot of info on a small screen and that makes it hard to find what you are looking for in an 'emergency'.
I have different brand radios on my two boats. I boat in an area where I like to use Tri Scan, that is monitor 3 different channels. On one radio, selecting tri scan is a simple as pressing the dual scan button one more time.
On my other radio I can never figure out how to get into tri scan without rereading the manual. Honestly, right now, I can't tell you how to select tri mode on that radio. Granted these two radios are not handheld but my point is if there is a feature you need , make sure it is easy or intuitive to get to that feature.
Another example which may or may not be important is selection the region of operation, USA, Canada, INTL. I was taking a handheld to Bermuda to use on rental boat but had a heck of a time getting the channel selection changed to International. That radio was an Icom:) Even with the manual, it wasn't that obvious an operation.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Aviation handhelds are AM versus Marine handhelds which are FM. Totally different breed of cat. I have had pretty good luck with the aviation ICOMs although I haven’t used them a lot. Just remember they too are line of sight and less power than fixed. Inside an aircraft may or may not work.

seasick

Reaction score
Aviation handhelds are AM versus Marine handhelds which are FM. Totally different breed of cat. I have had pretty good luck with the aviation ICOMs although I haven’t used them a lot. Just remember they too are line of sight and less power than fixed. Inside an aircraft may or may not work.
Didn't know that. Thanks for my 'learned something new today' moment