Recommendations for Salmon net on 232

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Not sure if this is the right section.
Looking for suggestions on a salmon landing net for my 232.
I'm guessing a min of a 6' pole plus a 32+" basket?

thanks

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Ranger has a good net and a reasonable price and the handle extends.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Holy hell... a 32" basket? How big of salmon are you catching? In the PNW I've just used the ones they sell at Costco, which are I think a 22" net and maybe a 4' handle. That being said, I know I fish much differently than the way I see others fishing. For me, if I get a bite on and am fishing by myself, I'll rotate the steering wheel to the side of the boat I have the fish on at. Then bring up my downrigger ball and try to net it myself off the SIDE of the boat and not over the STERN of the boat. The same goes with fishing with others but I'll usually have them go for the rod and start reeling while I turn the boat to the side, put it in neutral and bring up the other lines if necessary. I've found this to be so much easier than trying to net a fish off the stern of the boat while still trolling and having other lines in the water to get tangled up on. I know that when you get one fish that it's possible you're going through a school and likely could catch a second. That being said, just about anytime I've had a double hit, I typically always lose one of them. Of course, we also have to fish barbless hooks in the PNW, so that doesn't help.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Holy hell... a 32" basket? How big of salmon are you catching? In the PNW I've just used the ones they sell at Costco, which are I think a 22" net and maybe a 4' handle. That being said, I know I fish much differently than the way I see others fishing. For me, if I get a bite on and am fishing by myself, I'll rotate the steering wheel to the side of the boat I have the fish on at. Then bring up my downrigger ball and try to net it myself off the SIDE of the boat and not over the STERN of the boat. The same goes with fishing with others but I'll usually have them go for the rod and start reeling while I turn the boat to the side, put it in neutral and bring up the other lines if necessary. I've found this to be so much easier than trying to net a fish off the stern of the boat while still trolling and having other lines in the water to get tangled up on. I know that when you get one fish that it's possible you're going through a school and likely could catch a second. That being said, just about anytime I've had a double hit, I typically always lose one of them. Of course, we also have to fish barbless hooks in the PNW, so that doesn't help.
I could never net a fish off of my stern with with the swim step and outboard we always bring them up to the side. I think they have a minimum size net requirement for salmon here in Ca. You might want to check because 22" is small.