Recommended VHF Antenna Length?

LewesFM180

Reaction score
I'm putting a VHF radio on my GW 208 Adventure, it has the hardtop, I'm not sure if I should go with the 4ft or 8ft antenna? my thought is the 8ft it not necessary, most of my boating will be the Delaware Bay and just off the Delaware coast. Appreciate your feedback.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went with 8' ones. VHF is line of sight, taller = better range. Don't want to be wishing I had a taller antenna when I need to get out. Only you can answer what your need is. 8' you're all in, 4' will limit you some range.

Screenshot_20211107-075025_Gallery.jpg

LewesFM180

Reaction score
thanks Ky Grady, and thanks for the picture,, your 208 looks like exactly how I want mine setup,

Reactions: Ky Grady

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree. Get the 8'. Being on the hardtop, it's not like it's going to be in your way :) And don't skimp on the antenna - there are cheap ones for $50 - but they ARE cheap. Get something like the Galaxy series from Shakespeare - like the 5225, if memory serves.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Appreciate it,,,, that's a 228 though.

Yep, Galaxy 5225-XT is what I'm using. Matching AM/FM antenna also Galaxy 5235-XT. Both mounted on the HD mount, 4187- HD

Fishtales

Reaction score
8’ is pretty much the standard unless you have a large craft.

LewesFM180

Reaction score
Apologies to Ky Grady for falsely identifying his 228 Seafarer

Yep, Galaxy 5225-XT is what I'm using. Matching AM/FM antenna also Galaxy 5235-XT. Both mounted on the HD mount, 4187- HDMy Apologies to Ky Grady for falsely identifying his 228

Yep, Galaxy 5225-XT is what I'm using. Matching AM/FM antenna also Galaxy 5235-XT. Both mounted on the HD mount, 4187- HD

Reactions: Ky Grady

grady23

Reaction score
I have never heard anyone say 'I wish I had a smaller antenna" when the time came that their life depended on it. TALLER IS BETTER. My 8ft antenna is mounted on my hardtop which puts the tip of the antenna at approximately 18ft off the water. I have talked 22+ miles on the Chesapeake bay on a calm day. My choice brand is Digital brand antenna. This is NOT a thing to go cheap on.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have talked over 20 miles with a 3' SS whip on top of a hardtop.
If you are rockin' n' bobbing a 3db antenna will outperform a 6db antenna inside the 7 mile horizon because they emit broader lobes.
There are nuances to everything. 3' SS whips are tough and easier to lay down or remove. They are more than enough for most situations

I have one of each on my 265 and 2 VHFs.

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I broke several fiberglass antennas internally on low bridges in FL. They would receive ok but not transmit. I would be running around with no VHF and not know it. FCC shut down SeaTow automated radio check. Very litttle radio use the Keys as most Captains use cell phones.

In NJ I have have a limited season and don’t take my boat beyond the flounder grounds or much outside the Delaware bay.

If I spent more time on long offshore runs I think a glass antenna and a longer one would ba good choice. My 3’ antenna works well for my use case.

I also cary an EPIRB, PEPIRB, spare handheld VHF and setup MMSI with GPS. I think I’m covered!

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
It's a tradeoff between function and practicality. If an 8 foot whip works well then why not put an 8 foot antenna on a handheld? It's not practical. You may argue that your handheld works perfectly OK with a 6 inch antenna. In theory, a 6 inch antenna on your hardtop would work better:) Do you see my point?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
VHF range is not an issue for contacting the Coast Guard. Their Rescue 21 coverage system is designed to communicate with a handheld radio at a height of 6 ft operating at low power (1 watt) over a range of at least 20 nautical miles offshore. The Delaware/NJ area is very well covered by several different sectors.

The most important factor for VHF communication with other boats is antenna elevation rather than power or antenna gain. At 25 W, a 3 db gain antenna has plenty of power to reach anything on the horizon. That's why sailboats only use 3 db antennas on their masts. While it's true that an 8' - 6 db antenna mounted on a hardtop will have about a 40% greater range than a 3 - 3 db antenna when talking to another boat with the same setup, there is a downside. In an active area, you will have 40% more radio chatter interfering with your calls.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Check out Morad antennas. They are amongst the highest quality (all made in Washington) and fairly modular. You can buy the antenna whip and base, then pick the stanchion length that best suits your needs. If you go shorter and realize you would prefer more height, you can very easily add an extension to the stanchion. They are great antennas and there is good info on their website.
https://www.morad.com/

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
VHF range is not an issue for contacting the Coast Guard. Their Rescue 21 coverage system is designed to communicate with a handheld radio at a height of 6 ft operating at low power (1 watt) over a range of at least 20 nautical miles offshore. The Delaware/NJ area is very well covered by several different sectors.

The most important factor for VHF communication with other boats is antenna elevation rather than power or antenna gain. At 25 W, a 3 db gain antenna has plenty of power to reach anything on the horizon. That's why sailboats only use 3 db antennas on their masts. While it's true that an 8' - 6 db antenna mounted on a hardtop will have about a 40% greater range than a 3 - 3 db antenna when talking to another boat with the same setup, there is a downside. In an active area, you will have 40% more radio chatter interfering with your calls.
and you can unscrew a SS whip from the base without twisting the cable!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
What ever you buy, don't buy the cheapest one. It doesn't matter if youre just hanging in the bay or not. Cheap antennas bare cheap for a reason the elements are made from inferior conductors like aluminum. They can break internally and you wouldn't know it. I dropped like $240 or something on my Shakespeare with gold and silver internal elements, stainless ferrule and beefed up fiberglass shell . You can buy off brand boat soap, cheap cushions , cheap dock line even, but going cheap equipment that could save your life , well that's where I draw the line. I destroyed my antenna docking at Fort Jefferson as there is an overhead lift thingy at the guest dock. Took it right out. Forgot the antenna was up. When I got back to the Keys a few days later I bought a new one at West Marine in Key Largo .
Doc is point on in the radio theory there.

Reactions: PointedRose

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
4' Digital antennas have worked very well for me. I noticed no loss of range when I first switched, although theoretically, I know there should be some. I also prefer the more broad arc of transmission of the 4.5 decibel gain. Lastly, my boat gets trailered some very long distances a couple of times a year. And I know there is a lot of vibration over those miles. I believe I can better secure the 4' antenna against vibration with a pool noodle than I ever could with an 8' antenna.

Rob

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lastly, my boat gets trailered some very long distances a couple of times a year. And I know there is a lot of vibration over those miles. I believe I can better secure the 4' antenna against vibration with a pool noodle than I ever could with an 8' antenna.

Rob
I secure my 8' antennas to the rocket launchers with a piece of foam pipe insulation and a couple of ball bungee's when I travel. No issues.

20210424_090513.jpgScreenshot_20220504-102525_Gallery.jpg